Big step toward college football playoff

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Apr 26, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Plus 1 would take care of every worthy team 98 times out of 100. The ultra rare occurrence of that not happening needs to be a "tough noogies" situation like Card described. No sense changing too much for something that almost never happens. Of course, if UT is the rare team that gets screwed I will raise all kinds of hypocritical hell.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yeah, [uck fay] the baby. Let's get rid of that pesky dirty bathwater.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Regardless of the system going forward, there are too many bowls. 35 bowl games. That's 70 teams-- over half of the BCS division.

Cut it down to 30 immediately, shrink it down year by year to like 25 or 20.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Why are there too many bowls? What does it matter?

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Makes them meaningless... You know... like your problem with 16 or 8 team playoffs? That was you, right?

6. kidbourbon

But it doesn't make any other games meaningless.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

It dilutes the post season, so I think one could argue it does.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree it makes it meaningless. one of the greatest arguments for keeping cal's current coach by his lemmings is his 8 bowls. of course 30 years ago it would be 2 bowls. eliminating enough bowls so that say only 8-4 or better teams would go would benefit everyone.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I don't have a problem with the extra bowls. Hell, I watched the MCB debacle against UNC in person. It was an entertaining evening.

The problem is pretending that these have any importance, or that it is any accomplishment to make them. Kentucky has made a living by losing 75% of their conference games and then celebrating a bowl bid in Memphis or Nashville just in time to return unwanted Christmas gifts. I find that laughable, even as I have seen UT slip into the same pathetic mindset.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It's free football and means a heck if a lot to some of the teams that make it in. Sure Tennessee won't be thrilled about sneaking into the Music City Bowl, but that's a freaking monumental accomplishment for some programs.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Right. So there isn't really a problem with the bowls. Just a problem with stupid people overvaluing them. No need to get rid of them.

12. kidbourbon

One's argument would be nonsense.

You could have as many NFL exhibitions as you want leading up to the super bowl. It just makes the NFL exhibitions meaningless, the super bowl is still the super bowl.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't follow. So if you only really care about the big bowls, you just don't watch the Tuesday night Meineke Car Care Bowl. If you are a big fan that will watch anything, you tune in. Who is losing out?

14. kidbourbon

Does this make sense? A 16 team playoff affects the importance of the CFB regular season. #fact

Additional bowl games have no effect on the importance of bowl games that people know are between good teams. The existence of the San Diego Credit Bureau Poinsettia Bowl has zero affect on whether I tune in for the sugar bowl. And it gives me something else to gamble on, so I'm all for it.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm in the same boat. Also gives the men something to do at boring holiday gatherings. I'll take me some free football any day.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea how one can make that claim about a playoff but not about every team that wins 6 games going to a bowl. KB, please elaborate so I can keep looking at that avatar.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You either win big in the regular season or you go to one of the meaningless bowls. Fits perfectly.

18. kidbourbon

Done.

(1) The distinction is that a playoff affects the importance of the regular season games. There is a dependency between two. A correlation. The larger playoff pool is inversely proportional to the importance of the regular season.

(2) The multiple bowl games are exclusive of one another. And also exclusive of the importance of the regular season, which is a distinction from the above.
    (2a) And everyone knows they're meaningless. That LSU/Bama SECCG is not being played for the right to gain entry into the San Diego Credit Bureau Poinsettia Bowl. The only people that really care are the guys playing (especially if they're from the MAC or Sun Belt or something). But they still let me gamble on a meaningless exhibition, so I'm all for it.

19. kidbourbon

Just got back from the gym. I was thinking "why is IP not following me here". And now I think I have it. I do my best thinking in the gym.

Let's try a definition on for size.

Postseason (noun) -- that thing that decides the winner of the season.

As such, the San Diego County Credit Bureau Poinsettia Bowl does not dilute the postseason, because it isn't a part of the postseason. An 8 or 16 team playoff would dilute the postseason because it is a part of the postseason. I hope my argument is better crystallized for you.

20. kidbourbon

My avatar is quite amazing, isn't she?