BIGFOOT real or not?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Jan 1, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Float, the key difference between the proposed evolutionary path of Giganto and that of humans is that with humans, we have an end product to look at. There is no Bigfoot to even look at which makes it unabashed speculation.

The last million years is literally littered with big Pleistocene megafauna like Giganto that died out or were replaced with smaller versions. It'd be hella-strange for Giganto's massive descendants to go unnoticed (and I mean physical evidence) in temperate settled climates, and also still be essentially a Pleistocene megafaunal holdout.

I mean, this would have to be the exception of all exceptions to biological patterns.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I agree, completely. The odds of having Bigfoot emerge are astronomically low. I would put them lower than even Nessie or Champ, depending. It would be completely out of the normal to have this gigantic bipedal primate strolling around the State of Washington, when primates that large don't really exist any longer, and we are the only bipedal primate on this rock.

It is low, low and lower. Which is why it is fantasy, not science.

But the purpose is to say that if we were able to have a Bigfoot to use to track back, this is the proposed method by which such an event could occur. That isn't the same as saying it has occurred. I'm not, by any means, claiming that Bigfoot exists, 100% matter of fact, I'm just saying that if he did, this is the most likely way it came into existence.

I'm more of a Bigfoot agnostic than a Bigfoot believer, which is to say, I typically agree with Jane Goodall on the issue, even in jest.

And as such, these are the views I take to describe the process by which we could explain existence, even absent proof of existence. In other words, purely speculative with small amounts of "evidence."

I think one guy, and I don't recall whom, basically said that if you took all the foot castings of Bigfoot, you would have to classify each cast as its own species. So, it would be hard to call that evidence. So again, pure fantasy land. But fun to think about.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fun to talk about, like hobbits.

4. fl0at_

I tried reading the Hobbit, and couldn't get into the actual book. Homo Floresiensis was tauted as a "Hobbit," but definitely not in Tolken's way.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I'm aware.

6. fl0at_

I never read much about it other than the original article. Something about burying their dead and using tools, but I don't recall much more than that.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tiny human species, but some think they may have just been individuals of another hominid species suffering from a genetic defect.

8. fl0at_

I suppose either is possible. I would probably tend to lean towards speciation rather than disease, but either way is neat.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think there is enough data to know for sure either way. That's the nature of the beast with fossils in the tropics.

10. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

No because YOU are NOT a Loch Ness Monster guru! JMO

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Shit just got real

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

If OE had feelings, these words would hurt

13. fl0at_

14. fl0at_

Simplest solution is usually correct, and clearly the simplest solution is that the Yeti was simply wearing an ancient polar bear fur, to keep warm.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting from an evolutionary perspective. Polar bears are the youngest species of bear on the planet.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bipolar bears are the moodiest.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Jay Cutler?

18. fl0at_

Dysthymic bear.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

20. fl0at_