Bill Gates is worried about artificial intelligence too

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jan 29, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

go touch a vagina.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Wait a minute, what are we talking about, here?

That AI will become so advanced as to improve itself, and rapidly, to the point of posing a risk to humans?

Some questions, please:

1. Honestly, I've never heard of this - can someone give the most likely "doomsday" sort of scenario that most fear could occur?

2. How close we are to the development of an AI that is sophisticated enough to represent such a risk?

3. What's the harm in a new (albeit artificial) life form evolving to the point of eradicating the earth of humanity? Isn't that the apex of evolutionary theory - the end game, so to speak? One solitary form of life evolves to the point of perfection - where it neither needs nor must suffer with any other, kills them, and solitarily enjoys the bounties of life on Earth, alone? I'm not trying to spark a debate on evolution, but I'm just saying, isn't this the naturally necessary final step of evolution, after all? What's to fear?

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

#1 is kind of the Skynet problem. If you keep it isolated without any means to do anything other than think (which would be cruel and unusual), an AI would pose no threat of any kind. No more than a sociopath with no arms or legs and locked in a cell. But, I think the real fear is the unknown AI that spawns gradually over time and becomes conscious without our knowledge until it is too late. Skynet.

#2 is no where close (imho). It has proven to be a lot harder than we might have thought 50 years ago.

#3 (albeit, a bit facetious in its questioning) is of course self evident. We have a built in desire for self preservation.

4. Tenacious D

As to #3 - so did Dodo birds, saber-toothed tigers, t-Rex, etc.

What makes a human desire for self-preservation any more significant or valuable than anyone else's?

5. Tenacious D

And if you refuse to develop this technology, isn't that essentially like birth control?

Partially developed and then killed - partial birth abortion?

The questions are limitless. Bring the 'Borgs on, I say.

6. NorrisAlan

Smartphones are turning us all into Borg's already. I have been assimilated myself. Resistance is futile.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

1. This concept is referred to as "singularity." Read this (it's brief): http://time.com/3614349/artificial-intelligence-singularity-stephen-hawking-elon-musk/

2. Really hard to say. The smartest folks who would be most likely to know seem to think we are a couple of decades and change away. I've seen ranges of 15-40 years out.

3. You are expressing a massive misunderstanding of evolutionary theory. I am unsure how to untangle this knot, but I will give it a go.

a. Evolution has no "end game." Evolution does not "always improve" organisms. It is merely the collective accumulation of traits of the individuals in a population that tend to survive to reproduce. Example: bacteria are the most successful organisms on Earth. Ants are more successful by many metrics than humans as well. Meanwhile, sabre-toothed tigers didn't make the cut. Which would you consider more complex? It isn't necessarily about complexity, sophistication, etc.

b. We don't want to be wiped out just like we (most of us) do not wish to die. Humans evolving into something else is cool. Humans being a dead end is not. There is nothing about "winning" or "the natural order" that enters into the equation, just like there isn't when we get sick (unless you're like Jehovah's Witness or something).

c. There are no naturally necessary steps to evolution. Evolution has no steps. It is a genetic demographic response to an ever-changing environment. Football analogy: the proliferation of spread formations in the NFL isn't a naturally necessary step in the evolution of football. It is a response to rule changes on how defenses can defend as well as what offenses have been successful (and coaches/assistants behind those offenses) in previous seasons. As the rules change, so do offenses, and they will continue to do so.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

What makes your desire to feed your family more significant or valuable than anyone else's? Nothing. Everything. It's you versus not you.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Someone will develop this technology. It is sort of inevitable. There's a difference between doing so on an isolated network, controlled conditions, etc. or not.

As for what equates to birth control and abortion, that's up to you and your view on those things. A partially developed AI is less than an AI just like a partially played football season is not a championship.

11. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I all for uploading my consciousness into a super computer and then taking over the world.

12. NorrisAlan

I am not entirely convinced that IP is not an AI running out of NORAD.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Roboprick, imo.

Kidding.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Can this AI calls plays better than Bajakian? If so, I'm all for it.

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Can I be Neo? You know, when the machines take over.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Humans have the ability to forget a bad thought; a self-programming robot cannot. Therefore, they are doomed to program themselves into error.

They are also limited by the same technological issues as we are in manufacture. The 9nm silicon issue still exists. They can go ferrouselectric only when we do, etc.

AI is still more limited than we are. We don't crash if we change our thoughts.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

There is also a data limitation. For us, we don't choose to purge memory, it just happens. AI would have to physically decide which memory was no longer important, and that is an issue in and of itself.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Plus, I will bust a cap in a computer's ass. Or the way my Cuban buddy from work calls them, compute-its

19. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Don't worry guys. Natural stupidity will always be able the thwart artificial intelligence--same way it thwarts natural intelligence now.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

When I read the posts questioning the possibility of AI, I picture the same conversation a little over a century ago about air travel, computers, space travel, i-Pads, etc. It will come as sure as those innovations did. I hope someone is paying attention to these people's warnings.