Blake Carringer, 2020 OL

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by CardinalVol, Feb 8, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

if one just automatically scrapes data, then one simultaneously scrapes some of the culpability by not verifying it.

a big part of journalism and scholarship used to be about verification.

warhammer, RockyHill, Poppa T and 2 others like this.
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure monitoring the twitter feeds of 17 year olds qualifies as journalism, anyway.

Poppa T, IP and justingroves like this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I disagree with this. The 247 composite is built to reflect an amalgam of rivals, 247, etc. By definition, you can’t take Rivals rankings and change them. If the only thing that changed was his 247 composite and 247 also didn’t blindly move him up in their individual rankings, then I think they have a point. But only if they didn’t adjust their own rankings after his composite shot up.

JudgmentVol likes this.
  4. TennTradition

No, but monitoring the twitter feed of a 5 yr old is the only way to report on what’s happening in a Washington these days.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was bad data. they should know he wasn't that size or had those offers independently, if they're doing a composite. if they just scrape rivals and have nothing themselves or conflicting basic info, it's not really a composite but rather two different subjects entirely.

InVolNerable likes this.
  6. TennTradition

Still disagree, I think.

If 247 is blaming Rivals for claiming he had offers he didn’t have or was a different size, then I’m with you.

But if the issue was the 247 composite resulted in him being bumped to a higher rating, then I disagree with you. The composite is an algorithm. Regardless of his offers, measurements, etc., if Rivals says he is a 5 star number one overall player (even if they shouldn’t think that), then the 247 composite ranking will be built off of that - along with the lower ranking that 247 thinks he (rightly) should have. I don’t see any problem on the 247 side for the score issue.

If they then changed their 247 score blindly up to be more congruent with the composite - then they failed.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

They blindly included verifiably false data into a composite ranking.

8. TennTradition

No. They included a verifiable ranking from Rivals. That was his actual Rivals ranking - nothing false about it. Rivals were wrong to give that ranking. But they did it.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

We just don't see it the same way.

10. TennTradition

Even if 247 had evaluated the kid and said he was a 0 star - it’s entirely reasonable to pull the Rivals ranking through into their calculation until Rivals changed it. The calculation is a composite by definition.

You can question the wisdom of using a composite from others you don’t control and are apparently prone to doing dumb things - but that doesn’t make 247 negligent for using the ranking that Rivals published in their composite, as they always do.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

But if they evaluated him and saw that he wasn't 6'4 and 270 or whatever, and saw that he was listed as such on rivals, you'd think they'd ask some questions.

12. TennTradition

Maybe they did.

I’m just saying that if they didn’t raise his 247 score and the composite just raised for a few days because Rivals f’d up, then that really isn’t a big screw up on 247’s part.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Anyone who reported or re-ported unsubstantiated claims that this kid had the offers he claimed screwed the basic tenets of not only journalism, but news gathering.

They’re all fake news.

14. TennTradition

I agree with this, except I wouldn’t call this journalism or news gathering, really.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They gave a kid a rating based off nothing they saw or heard about his ability. Joke

16. TennTradition

Correct, Rivals did.

Did 247? I haven’t seen anyone in this thread clarify whether 247 actually changed their ranking (not the composite they publish, but their ranking).

17. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

You're splitting hairs. The 3 star rating and the bogus scholarship offers were all on their site. Yes, it was re-reported but that doesn't matter.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. TennTradition

I agree that maters. And I’m not splitting hairs. I was specifically talking about their composite ranking. I place no fault on them if others in the composite mis-rated, affecting it.

But if 247 ranked him higher, reported offers on their site, or changed his physical stats, then that’s on them. I never argued otherwise.

19. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Oh, I gotcha. I misunderstood.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

wtf