Bob Stoops Retiring

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tenacious D, Jun 7, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Just heard on the radio recently a little factoid that surprised me. There are only four active coaches that have won a national championship.

I guess we lost three in the last little bit with Spurrier, Miles, and Stoops.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Stoops is a flash hire. Maybe not a good one though.

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

When I say splash hire I mean something that the fans and money folks can really buy into. Nobody is getting that fired up about hiring a nearly 60 year old Bob Stoops.

4. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

He would be near the same age as Saban was when he took over at Bama.

Chip Kelly is only 3 years younger too.

5. RockyHill

There's just clearly a perception difference there. So Stoops is gonna go TAMU and put together and entirely new staff? I don't think TAMU fans would want him and I don't know why he'd really want that job.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Compared to who though? You aren't going to get Saban or Meyer. And 60 isn't old for a football coach

7. chavisut

He's a top 10 coach and if it is within a year he would only be 57. He could coach another 8-10 years if he wants. IMO perception would be overwhelmingly positive.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, we have definitely entered a time where being 60 isn't the same as being 60 20 years ago. People work longer and stay healthy and sharp longer. JMO, others may see it differently. People retire now because they want to. Maybe the nature of labor has generally changed, though.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

When Saban was hired at Bama he was only a few years removed from a National Championship. I don't think too many people really thought he'd tailed off. Stoops is 15+ years away from his NC season and he does seem to not quite have it like he once did. I don't know how I'd feel about his prospects at another school. Maybe a change of scenery rejuvenates him.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he made the playoff the year before last and has won a gazillion big 12 championships.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

More Big 12 Championships than home losses during his career.

12. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah but ZERO Battle of Bristol championships. Don't want him. Don't see why TAMU would want him.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I would be overjoyed.

14. RockyHill

Do you mean as a UT fan or TAMU fan? The powers at be at TAMU actually want to win so that's more than we have going for us.

15. chavisut

Go with another Kevin Sumlin or Bob Stoops. Hmmmm

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

As a UT fan. Or a TAMU fan. He's an enormous upgrade for us and a definite upgrade for them.

17. RockyHill

I wouldn't want him if I'm an A&M fan. The SEC West is not like the Big 12 he's been running roughshod over.

18. chavisut

So you'd rather take some up and comer with a couple of 9 win seasons from the MAC?

19. RockyHill

Frame it how you'd like. I could ask you if you'd rather have Stoops or get someone who you think can take you to the top of the mountain.

I value stability less than most, so I'm more inclined to accept more downside risk.

20. chavisut

I think you're grossly undervaluing Stoops as a coach.