POLITICS Border Wall / Gub-mint Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Dec 11, 2018.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Since we back pay everyone. I'd make everyone essential and come to work. At least the tax payer gets productivity for their dollars.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

2 sides used it as a political tactic. One side won. It's how it always is and how it always will be.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

No, one guy used it. Not even or political party. Sure, the Democrats held firm because it benefited them politically, but this "both sides" stuff is silly, unless we're saying both sides didn't want it as the Republicans in Congress surely weren't in favor.

JayVols likes this.
  4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No won wins. That’s the whole issue with the political landscape as it is now. You can see that with the childish games played here.

Pelosi, who is as big of a piece of shit as what Trump is widely seen, is being made out to be some superstar.

If you see yourself siding with a piece of shit, maybe you are too. Kinda always been my philosophy.

zehr27 likes this.
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So everybody here who sides with Trump are pieces of shit, and, everybody here who sides with Pelosi are also pieces of shit?

Am I reading that right?

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It's like I told Card yesterday. I don't especially like Nancy, but I do think she is what the Dems (and by extension, my liberal ass) need right now. Sometimes you gotta have a bulldog out there to fight their bulldogs. They sure as shit aren't getting anything done by caving on everything

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If you can’t see beyond party lines and only side with someone so your “side” can win... then yes you are a complete piece of shit.

Both sides suck. And both sides are showing their true colors on here. At this point, it’s almost to the point the only solvent would be just to divide it all and be done with it.

When grown ass adults act like [dadgum] children it’s probably time to move on.

8. Unimane

Pelosi isn't nearly as big a piece of shit as Trump. That said, I wish people would chill on the narrative he caved. For a person whose sole motivation is himself, attacking his ego could steel him to another shutdown which hurts a lot of people for no real benefit.

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

There's some truth here. I don't think Republicans are in a big rush to let him shut it down again. There's gonna be a big push in party to have him declare an emergency. I don't think it gets him what he wants, but it's the option with the least likelihood of causing lasting damage to the party's electoral prospects

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no interest in arguing which turd weighs more or has a larger volume.

11. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I want the following

1) Less corporate influence on policy
    2) Net Neutrality
    3) major drug law reform
    4) universal healthcare
    5) major climate change action

I'll vote for anyone that I think can help us get there. Further, I think that every one of those things leads to economic growth in one way or another.

JayVols and The Dooz like this.
  12. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Outside of Matt Gaetz, I think a lot of the youth in Congress (specifically the house) is on the right track right now. Your Kinzingers, Crenshaws, Hills, Hurds, Lambs, etc that don't get all the play seem determined to get things done

IP likes this.
  13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You’re good. My post wasn’t directed at you.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Crenshaw is what I hope the future of the GOP is.

Tenacious D likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree to an extent, but I don't have to pay for child care. That's where it starts mattering the most. For a 2 day or one week shutdown, sure everyone working would be better.

I'd like to see a constitutional amendment that makes "shutdowns" no longer occur, and it all defaults into a CR.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I agree. I would like to see a younger Democratic in her role, somebody we can expect to lead the party going forward. A new face.

That said, I think she’s the best representative given the political climate we are in.

JayVols likes this.
  17. Unimane

I think a lot more politicians are legit believers in their cause then are given credit for. Sure, they pander to voters and are forced to often cater to money interests, but that is more the beast of the system. Most run for office thinking they can do some good. That isn't to say power hungry egomaniacs and whores for hire aren't doing it or being developed, too.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

By the time this 2 year chapter is over, we are probably better off letting an old war horse take the arrows in her last hurrah. This little episode isn't the end, it is the beginning of this until 2020 when the page will turn, one way or the other. I just hope there is grooming going on behind the scenes. There hasn't been lately.

emainvol likes this.
  19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Democrats got what they wanted. They won this political battle. Doesn't matter if it's good, bad, or meaningless to the nation at large. In the political arena, they won. I don't see how admitting that means "sides". The shutdown was stupid as hell but both sides were cool with it because it was less important than their view on border wall funding.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Trump’s agreeing to give Congress 15 days to negotiate is good - both politically and in actuality. It gives Pelosi an out before he builds it anyway. He’s saying this - publicly - right now.