POLITICS Border Wall / Gub-mint Shutdown

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Dec 11, 2018.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

My comments were directed at one person & one person only.

Sincere apologies to you if I offended anyone else. You know I'd never do that intentionally, particularly with you.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I've been on record as saying I wish Trump would cut a lot of his bullshit, and don't care if he's re elected. Wouldn't want to be around him or near him.
    If I trusted him, wanted him as a leader for another term and wanted him to speak and represent me, it'd be the same as those that want to stand with Pelosi. People on both sides that can't lean the other way a little are the problem, and always will be.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

There are some ways I can lean and some ways I absolutely can't.

I have no give on climate change whatsoever, for example. I'm not gonna have kids, but I want all my friends' kids to live long, healthy lives and I sincerely believe they won't if we don't do something.

I'm cool throwing up some steel slats if it gets us there

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    zehr27 and justingroves like this.
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm 100% for border security. Every American should be. What I'm against is the least practical, most intrusive for landowners & most expensive way to try to achieve it. If keeping out drugs is a goal, I would also argue the effectiveness of any wall given the expertise the cartels have shown in tunneling.

Utilize technology, hire more border enforcement, implement more detection tech at official crossings & hire more asylum judges.

emainvol and The Dooz like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Him saying this publicly is as dumb as the Dem house gloating. It ensures this will continue.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're both double flushers

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Either side can prevent that.

8. Tenacious D

I particularly enjoy this:

9. Ssmiff

Again if this is incorrect info, correct me. I was told by someone today:
    --illegal immigrants are given an ITEN (or similar initials?), in order to pay taxes while here and no ss#. However, with a child tax credit, many are claiming kids, aunts, uncles, etc, who live in Mexico, and are getting a lot of money back. Is that correct? He told me he saw a news broadcast basically saying illegals were getting tax reimbursement benefits legal citizens with kids in the US do not receive.

10. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s an ITIN.

It is required if you owe federal taxes but can’t get a social security number.

I don’t know the details on deductions but I would imagine the rules around who you can claim aren’t all that different.

I *believe* that if a child is claimed for the child tax credit, that child must have a valid social security number. So I doubt the Mexican residents being claimed as dependents angle.

I don’t actually know if this leads to tax fraud though, this is just what I understand.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Correct.

12. Ssmiff

I googled a couple of articles but didnt link as a couple sites reporting it looked heavily slanted.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I've actually got a return on the list where the dad and one kid have SSN's, but the wife and other kid have an ITIN.

All here legally, the dad was adopted when he was 16 from Russia, two weren't born here, but the one kid is.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The amount of energy put into making shit up to create anger and outrage towards immigrants is pathetic.

15. Ssmiff

Nothing was made up.

16. TennTradition

How were they claiming tax credits for individuals that don’t have social security numbers?

17. Tenacious D

They should go somewhere that’s more tolerant. I hear Europe is nice.

18. TennTradition

Hahahaha Hahahaha.

Yeah, the immigrant experience is a true love story in Europe.

tvolsfan likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Something about claiming multiple dependants, up to 10 and 12 at times. There was a loophoe from what I could gather and refunds sent. Plenty of articles if you are interested.

20. TennTradition

Perhaps this wasn’t tied to the child tax credit, then? Because that requires a social security number.