Boston, MA

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by hallowed_hill, Nov 4, 2011.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Yes.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ever go to the Tibetan place in Davis Sq? Tasty.

3. TennTradition

Yeah. My favorite is on Salem near Prince.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Nah, I didn't live within range of the T (I was off the commuter rail), so I didn't get a chance to get into Boston/Cambridge all that often. But if you're ever in Waltham for whatever reason (and seriously, I'm not sure why you would be, unless you have some connection to Brandeis), Carl's makes a mighty fine cheesesteak. I went there multiple times a week for two years.

5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Damned hipsters and taliban imo

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

7. Joseph Brant

8. TennTradition

I was in Waltham all the time. Farmers market on Saturdays and Moody St for eats. Never saw Carl's though. Different area? There was an interesting El Salvadorian place IIRC on Moody. Watch City Brewery had great onion rings.

Wife had a friend or two that lived over there. Actually lived with one of her friends for a month while waiting to defend.

Figured you might have a Brandeis connection when you said you lived outside Boston for a few years.

9. TennTradition

10. TennTradition

Wait wha?

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

For the most part I live in Boston Spring/Summer; Atlanta Fall/Winter. Winters are brutal here.

12. Joseph Brant

Just noting demographic changes after COB

13. Tar Volon

Carl's is on Prospect St. That's between Moody and Brandeis. There were plenty of good eats on Moody St too, but Carl's is the one I still crave.

14. TennTradition

Have you always done that? Had no idea. Should have met up if you were doing that 2005-2011 time period.

15. TennTradition

Winters are rough. I hate the winters here in MI more though, to be honest. Colder here and snow comes all the damn time. Would rather get my snow in 3 nor'easters than 120 days with an inch or three every 2-3 days. Shoveled all the damn time.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Since February of last year.

17. TennTradition

Waited until I left. Smart.

18. Tar Volon

The first winter I was up there was awful. I honestly didn't mind the second one. First winter (2010), I swear we didn't get an inch of snow after MLK Day. Kept having friends from the Carolinas calling me and talking about how they had six inches on the ground and had never seen anything like it before, but up in New England, it was 35 degrees and rain all the friggin time. That was the winter where the mid-Atlantic got slammed and New England had one of the warmest winters on record. Well that's my only warm New England winter, but I hate them. Give me 30 degrees and snow over 35 and rain any day. 35 and rain is probably my least favorite kind of weather.

Winter of 2011 was fine. Snowed a lot. Had to shovel a fair bit. But hey, I like the snow, and I needed an excuse to get outside anyways.

19. TennTradition

I hated the 2010-2011 winter. When the snow I was shoveling got over my head everywhere along the driveway and yard I didn't know where to put it anymore! Driving also got crazy until they started coming in with trucks to clear the zones between the merging lanes and driving lanes when getting into the highway.

It also got bitterly cold mid-January 2011. Coldest sustained temps I had experienced in Boston. Definitely colder here though. Not unusual to string together single digit highs for a while here. At least it's not Minnesota.

20. Tar Volon

See, that was my first real winter (since the winter of 2009-10 was stupid and miserable), so I just thought all that was normal. Didn't really bother me, possibly because I wasn't used to it. I definitely did end up with some pretty big piles of snow from shoveling the drive though.