Bowl Eligible

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Lexvol, Nov 23, 2019.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The team making several boneheaded plays against the stormin’ Mormons, the week after not showing up at all, was quite bad.

And we outplayed Mizzou even more so and almost blew that one with stupid mistakes.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

100%. With the culture, staff, and strength improvements we are finally playing up to our talent level. Competent coaching does that. We are going to need to recruit with Bama and UGA if we are going to beat them though

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I have pushed most of the details out of my mind, but as I recall, it was mostly just JG having an awful game and that one busted coverage. Both of which were bad, but I definitely remember grouping them more into the “shit happens in college football” category than the “reflections on the coaching” category.

Overall, we had four games where we outplayed the opposition, but not badly enough to expect to open up a big lead (BYU, MSU, South Carolina, Kentucky). We won three of those and lost one in OT, which is about what you’d expect. Obviously, the one we lost is going to have what-ifs, but overall, we played four of those games that you win three out of every four times and we won three of them. That’s just how it goes. The one we lost being the first one definitely affected perception at the time, and maybe a couple breaks going against us against BYU and then for us against Kentucky actually helped our confidence in feeling like we turned a corner. But all four of those games are games where we played well enough to win but also made enough mistakes to lose if some key plays don’t go our way.

I don’t actually put Missouri in that category at all. I thought we completely dominated the Mizzou game from the point we went down 10-7 on, and only it being our most mistake-filled game of the last six weeks made it close at all. And some of those mistakes, I put on the coaches (the time management late in the first half, the 12 men on the field). But a lot of them are just crap that happens with college kids (the fumble, the blocked kicks, the late hit, etc)

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

6. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Didnt dismiss. Just said I am not all in yet

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Not at UT, but look at what he did with Peterman at Pitt too.

9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I'm excited that we might finally be trending up from rock bottom in 2017. When the trend starts pointing up good things will happen. I'm also thrilled we don't have a Butch or a doofus on the sideline anymore. Pruitt may be a gump, but he's our gump.

10. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Interesting. Watching him say it, it came across to me as decisively staying here, dismissive of even considering finishing as anything other than a Vol.

Honestly not sure how demanding the market would be for him as a transfer anyhow, but his best case scenario is probably continuity with Chaney for a 2nd season.

Tenacious D, Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  11. InVolNerable

You could tell on the hit on Palmer who was a closer knit team. Palmer went down, and Calloway and JJ both sprinted over to make sure he was ok. Didn’t leave until the refs told them to.

Mizzou’s guy was writhing around all by his lonesome, even though one of his guys was right there on the initial hit.

Memtownvol and Tenacious D like this.
  12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

I don’t think Gator Bowl officials would mind a Tennessee-Michigan matchup.

hohenfelsvol likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

He'd really have to be dreaming if he thinks it gets better than throwing 4oo yards against a defense allegedly top 10 against the pass and putting his name in the school record books of a program like UT... I mean, come on. First game with 3 100 yard receivers at UT? Wasn't Peyton Manning, and that is going to have a lifetime of "wow."

14. InVolNerable

First time ever? I didn’t know that.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, first time in school history.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He’s probably intrigued by the crazy idea of having the same offensive coordinator for a second season

Memtownvol and IP like this.
  17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We’d get shit-housed by either Michigan or Penn St.

I don’t want this season to end by getting shit-housed by Milk Dud.

hohenfelsvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet we could make it interesting, at least. Penn State's offense isn't any better than Mizzou's.

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

If somehow Rutgers comes back around on Botch, I could possibly see him transferring there and being near home.

Should return Palmer at WR, but losing Calloway and Jennings is gonna sting. Hopefully Keyton can make a jump. Maybe Means too. Recruiting there is not that stellar thus far.

Btw, just realized Rivals didn't have To'oto'0 as a 5* guy last year.... He was a 5.9 (6.1 is 5*).... Dude gonna be a freshman all american.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Actually we match up pretty well with Penn State. Their backup had a good 5 minutes against tOSU, but neither of their QBs are impressive, their wideouts are fast but I'd take our 3 vs theirs. Their OL is OK, haven't seen anything to make me think they're on the level of Wisconsin or Ohio State, and more like Michigan. Defensively they're amazing but if there's a weakness, it's exactly our strength on offense. Plus they'll be disappointed not to at least have had a NY6 bowl, plus there will be rumors about Franklin leaving, plus they will likely have no respect whatsoever for a 7-5 team that lost to two G5 opponents. I could absolutely see us winning that game.