Brains and Politics

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Makes sense

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

R's can't seem to stay on one side of the small government fence and D's are just Looney

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I've been reading about some of this lately. I certainly believe our personalities help to shape our political views , and if personalities are part of our psychology, it makes some sense. But politics it still overwhelmingly nurture over nature.

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

This is really fascinating stuff; thanks for sharing. While I would not consider myself fully liberal in terms of politics, I do lean in that direction and certainly heavily on social issues. Interestingly enough, my career has a primary focus on analytics (not exactly the same, but correlates). Also, I have always struggled to an extent with emotional attachment; that is not to say that I do not feel emotions, do not love, etc., but I have to work at it. I have actually become better at the emotional aspect of relationships over the past few years, which may also lend support to the section about the brain being 'plastic' and always changing. Again, very interesting stuff.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. And nurture can account for variations in brain activity and development.