Bray argument

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Brinkley52, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

Ok, I know I have caught a lot of flack for saying Worley should get a shot over a healthy Bray. While everything you have said is correct about Bray's arm strenght, athleticism, NFL potential, etc, he still doesn't CURRENTLY do what is necessary to win, and that is unacceptable for a player in his third year as the uncontested starter. As I have said before, Bray inflates his stats against weak competition. Lets take a look at his body of work in 2011 and 2012

2011 games against the following teams: Montana/Cincy/Buffalo 1040 yards 11TD 0int
    2011 games against the following teams: Vandy/Kentucky/Florida/Georgia 943 yards 6TD 6int

2012 games against the following teams: NC State/Georgia State/Akron 1044 yards 10TD 1int
    2012 games against the following teams: Florida/Georgia/MSU/Bama 870 yards 6TD 8int

I did not include 2010 stats because that was his first year and he came into the season not as the starter, but instead as the #2.

Again, I am not saying Worley is better than Bray...however Bray's performance (considering he has two first round wideouts and an NFL tight end to throw too) is not getting the job done. So, with that said, someone else should get a shot. I am not saying is all Bray's problem, but he isn't helping the cause.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Has no NFL tight end and the offensive passing scheme is retarded. I'm not dismissing some of Bray's problems, but the scheme is atrocious. There are no check downs, ever.

3. Brinkley52

Brinkley52 The Patterson Prophecies

I disagree, there are no checkdowns because Bray doesn't go there. Its a gunslinger mentality. Classic Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme type player. They go through their reads and when they see a tiny space, the mindset is I CAN FIT THE FOOTBALL IN THERE. So they do it, and sometimes they succeed and WOW, they look awesome. Meanwhile, coach is going crazy on the sideline because the QB missed the designed read. Chaney may not be the best coach in the world, but every OC has checkdowns in every system. I do think the TE will play in the NFL, maybe not star or even start, but he will make a roster.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think you need to watch more.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's just not a good QB at this point. Seems that he doesn't have the intangibles and mental make-up to match his arm talent.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Worley has his own issues. Chiefly, he sucks.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Rivera will play at what for a decade?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bray has issues, but the offensive scheme is mildly retarded. He has a gunslinger mentality, but he also has to have a gunslinger mentality because there's not a designed checkdown in the O.

The routes the WRs run take about 2 minutes to develop.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm sure it's a mixture of both.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

He'll play tight end.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

If true, I haven't seen it and its further indictment of Chaney's handling of Bray.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

The offensive scheme is beyond putrid, but Bray needs to change that mentality, and in a hurry. Talented for sure, but he doesn't have what it takes up top. It wouldn't surprise me to see Worley at some point

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

In this day of the hybrid TE/WR, I can see him making it.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dooley might as well give it a shot, since he is going down anyway.

16. GahLee

I too think Rivera is an NFL player.

17. GahLee

Good at running routes and good hands. He's vastly under utilized.