Bring Me The Head Of...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by **TDCVOL**, Sep 16, 2017.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Mississippi State is literally the next step up from Vandy and UK. They were below .500 all time before he took over. He's had two losing seasons and one was in his very first year.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Kind of like what Franklin did at Vandy and turns out Franklin is a pretty good coach. I'd take the chance on Mullen if it were up to me.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Does this mean every asshole grouch is the next Saban or Belichick?

Fleck can coach.

Hell, Dabo is Butch on steroids. He's got Clemson rolling.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yeah, Starkville is a shithole and if you can win there, imagine what you can do in God's Country and with UT's money.

5. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Considering he has never made a legit hire who the [ucking fay]--- knows.

6. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Mullen seems to like it there, or is he just loyal to a fault? In other words, would he leave for Tennessee if we came calling because I know he's had other offers.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And that is another issue. Every school is paying these guys $45 million a year. Why leave MissSt and enter the pressure cooker of Tennessee?

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He was the driving force behind Kiffin. Kiffin was a big name when we landed him.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Guys, they only hire coaches that have lost to the coach just fired. So, our best option is Justin Fuente.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

True, but the one thing about our fanbase is that we are a patient bunch and Mullen would probably get five years just like butch with even the slightest bits of improvement. That would keep him in the good graces of the majority. And at Tennessee, the first year is year zero so right off the bat he's playing with house money.

dooley and butch have set the bar so low, a guy like mullen could come in and not feel any pressure. He's just that much better of a football coach than they are, he wouldn't even have to try that hard until year three.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Mullen would have a much better chance of winning the east than the west too.

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

At this point we would be better off with no coaching staff.

13. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Chavis, you and I have been on the same page about Mullen for years. What he's been able to accomplish at State is unheard-of before his tenure.

He may not have the glitz and glamour of a Bob Stoops or Chip Kelly but I'd place him just below those two as far as prospective abilities to win big here. Mullen has earned the pedigree without the limitless resources. I'd LOVE to see what he could do here.

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

How are the coaches at Toledo and Tulsa doing? That's typically were Tennessee starts a coaching search.

15. OrangeBlood79

Therein lies the rub. He's (allegedly) already had talks with major programs in the past and either turned them down or withdrawn his name from consideration.

He wouldn't be an easy get, but then none of the big names will come easy.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like it would be a hard sell to the fans to offer a fortune to a guy that's usually around 4th in his division and is already 0-a bunch against Saban. I get what you are saying, but our fan base would probably prefer a guy with a lack of evidence that they can convince themselves will be awesome because he talked about being awesome in his introductory press conference! He gets it!

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Needs to say dream job and talk about how much his wife and kids likes the Smokies.

18. OrangeBlood79

And that's a fair argument. Hiring Mullen might be the equivalent of hiring Cutcliffe, post Fulmer. I get that but that doesn't change my opinion that he could win here.

I'd much rather swing for the fences with Stoops and Kelly first...just make a legitimate offer to one or both and MAKE them turn you down.

Stoops is by far the best option out there.

19. OrangeBlood79

One thing that Currie needs to be KEENLY aware of...

The next 4-6 weeks will define him as an AD, permenantly. He's either going to forge his own path or continue with the status quo.

20. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

He's kind of a weird dude.

I like him, and I would have him high on the list of names to call after I got off the phone with the 4 or 5 I really wanted.