Butch Gets One More Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I must agree!

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

So what do the Lettermen say around the tailgate?

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Good question VolDad.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Theres really not much discussion. Just generalizing conversation. Very little X's and O's and certainly no "bad coach" speak because there are kids parents there that were former players. Its only when you get in one on one talk that anything ever comes out. It's about 50-50.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

If we beat WCU, then lose four straight, could that get Butch fired? I think we beat UF but it's hardly far fetched.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He's not getting fired this year. Almost a 0% chance of it. I'd say the last thing the University wants is to be paying two coaches at the same time again.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"Why fire a coach when you can pay him to lose games?" - Dave Hart

8. GahLee

I'll believe it when I see it.

9. RockyHill

This line of thinking is good for maintaining a losing program.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You're high as a kite if you think he's getting fired for anything less than a disastrous implosion. He can lose 5 more and get next year.

11. RockyHill

UT starting 2-5 with our roster is a disastrous implosion and it's possible.

12. GahLee

If you can get an elite coach, you do it without hesitation. One thing is for sure, if Jones doesn't work out, our next coach has to be right. I don't want the search to be a rushed scenario where the pickings are slim.

13. RockyHill

And I didn't say I thought he'd be fired. But I am certain his firing would be the best course of action for the program if we had a competent AD, which we absolutely do not.

14. RockyHill

This is why we need leadership from boosters and the AD. It's really not that hard.

15. GahLee

If, at the end of the season we are 6-6 and there is somebody out there who is ready and willing to come and they are an obvious and substantial upgrade, do it. Do it and don't think twice. If it's another guy who is just as much of a question mark, then you stay put and see what happens the following year.

16. RockyHill

Do you realize how many coaches are an upgrade over Butch? We value Butch's recruiting too much. It's not hard to recruit here. We just missed it because Fulmer slacked at the end and Dooley was too busy buying pants and light bulbs.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Lol if we lose to Florida and Arkansas we aren't beating Missouri or Kentucky so I think 5-7 with no huge injuries would qualify as a major implosion. And I could see Hart and Butch being jettisoned in that scenario.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Especially if you were to get some proven SEC assistants to recruit for you.

19. RockyHill

Proven? That's funny. You are such a jokester.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I was speaking in general. Get the cowshit out of your eyes.