Butch is working hard

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cpninja, Aug 2, 2016.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

All I know is, he's acted out and been asked to leave from a couple of schools. There is also a big divide between him and a certain midstate former Vol that has a lot of pull in the area.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's already started

3. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Every coach does that with kids. It's not just Butch. That's everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't know about that, but I've heard stories about a lot more broken promises and what sound like out right lies to not just recruits, but players already on the roster.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nothing makes 108 guys feel special like being retweeted en masse.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not as much as Butch does, plus Butch doesn't need to do it near as much as he does.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That goes both ways, you can't demand special treatment if you're not getting guys committed.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I agree with this. There is no reason to take a commitment from a 2* "athlete" 8 months before signing day if you plan to recruit over him.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I look at it differently.

When you put top 5 and 10 teams there fairly regularly, sooner or later one of them will be that good. We put teams "that good" out there in '92, '93, '95, '96, '97, 99, and '01, too. '98 just had Al Wilson and Jeff Hall and Clint Stoerner and PI at Syracuse. So no, I didn't call the natty in 1998, but I figured we would put a nationally competitive team on the field and we did. Things just worked out to the good that year.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

exactly, and the recruiting supported winning big things. Two year runs in recruiting make you good. Repeated great recruiting makes real titles possible. We had repeated great recruiting then. We're headed for our second year of OK recruiting. It's no coincidence that these two years follow literally the worst coached season in college football last year.

11. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I could probably see it being a slightly effective tool when used sparingly, but to your point, when everybody gets something it doesn't hold much meaning.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

That makes me wonder where the AP would rank Tennessee had they released this greatest programs of all-time list in 2001.

13. cotton

It was one hell of a good run, even though I understand the argument that there should have been more hardware in the trophycase.

It's not the most popular opinion around here, but Fulmer's first decade was as good as we're ever gonna get, and I've got no bones to pick with it.

14. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I think we'd jump LSU for sure but past that I don't think there'd be much movement.

15. RockyHill

I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. I think it's harder to appreciate what Fulmer achieved when you know that these past 8 years of shit and irrelevance are largely his doing.

Edit: "Largely" might not be the best word. But he damn sure had a hand in it and deserves his fair share of the blame.

16. cotton

I'm not going to blame him for anything after he was canned; that let's the people actually responsible off the hook. Now, the half-dozen or so between '02 and '09? That's him.

17. RockyHill

I'm not letting anyone off the hook.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Anyone other than Spurrier is at Florida, Tennessee has at least two more titles

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They really aren't. The past 6 years can pretty much be pinned on hiring Dooley over an interim head coach

20. RockyHill

I'm not sure what that first sentence meant.