Butch managing some expectations

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by droski, Mar 30, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good article, but I wouldn't like this part if I was a Tenn fan:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/03/30/butch-jones-tennessee-volunteers-punt-pass-pork

The Volunteers may have won four of their final five games in 2014. They may be a trendy preseason pick to win the SEC East this fall. But inside the program, the prevailing belief is that sort of contention might still be a year away.

“It’s a snapshot of where we’re at in our football program,” Jones said. “We’ve had two very, very solid, very good recruiting classes back to back, but we’re still not there yet from a competitive depth standpoint. We’re still a couple recruiting classes away.”

“As the caretaker of Tennessee football, I also have to be a realist,” he said. “I have to understand where we’re at. We’re still a couple of recruiting classes away from being where we expect to be, but that’s why you come to Tennessee—because of the expectations. We want that.”

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Overall depth wise, he's right. Tennessee is a year or two away from being in the upper echelon of college football in terms of talent.

As far as winning an SEC East that's way down, he's wrong.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So we need TWO more recruiting classes before we have the "competitive depth" to win an SEC East that is shittier than I can remember it ever being? Give me a break.

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Well maybe the expectations are national championships. If so, he's right.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

He needs to win at least 8 games.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

saying you are a couple of recruiting classes away from being where you want to be means that people shouldn't expect contention for the SEC until 2017 at the earliest. seems to me that he should be able do things a tad quicker than that.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

eh. It appears he was asked specifically about wining the east and said they were a couple of years away. that's not good and a far cry away from winning NCs.

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Way to sell out your team for the next two years, Butch.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't really hate anything he said in that article. Saying we're a year or two away from where we want to be had better be true, unless being a darkhorse East contender is where we want to be (it isn't). That doesn't have to imply that we're not ready to compete for the East this year. Maybe Butch wants it to, and if so, I don't like it, but I don't see much to be upset about in the Staples article.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the article directly says that people in the program don't think they are ready to compete for the east this year.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It does, which is why I said "much" instead of "anything." But he doesn't quote any actual people in the program saying anything that implies we aren't ready to compete for the east this year.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

certainly seems that's what butch is implying.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dooley didn't recruit offensive or defensive linemen. Literally, he didn't sign a single OL one class and the DL he signed were either busts or just flat out sucked (Danny O'Brien and Jordan Williams are the two that didn't). I hate excuses but there were several legitimate depth problems that are only fixed by recruiting.

He's knocked that out of the park everywhere except the OL, which has been good, but not as good as everywhere else on the team.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If they don't he's fired.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I were reporter, I'd ask which SECE teams specifically he doesn't feel we can compete with this year. That's a damn good question to ask.

Is it Kentucky or Vandy? No?

Is it the team you've beaten the last two years with inferior teams AND inferior coaching (SCAR)? No?

Is it the team you took to overtime in year one and lost on a fluky fumble, then played tough this year despite them having an all-world running back in his prime that is going to have a new QB (UGA)?

Is it the team you lost to 10-9 and that has a new coach and QB (UF)?

Is it Missouri? Can we just not compete with Missouri? Just too good?

Which teams, specifically, coach?

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's March. It's coach speak. It's strategy. It's poor-mouthing. It's stupid. It's genius. It's whatever you want it to be at this point, but no matter what you call it, it's also meaningless. Expectations will be there soon enough no matter how much he tries to manage them.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Did you just find your calling?

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

McElwain trying to manage expectations too:

When Florida coach Will Muschamp was fired, he was sure to paint the picture that he was leaving behind a talented roster for the next coach to work with.

"They've got a deep and talented roster, so don't let that new guy tell you he ain't got any players," he said. "I can tell you that right now. There are some good football players in that locker room."

"You've got to play the hand you're dealt," McElwain said. "And right now, quite honestly, the hand we were dealt is really insufficient at some of the areas."

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...mp-left-really-insufficient-in-areas-36443733

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you think he'd be fired if Tenn went say 8-4?