Butch's Leash Under Currie

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, May 17, 2017.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I know there are a ton of in-state recruits this year, but I'd think a seven win season would get a bunch of them looking around.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'll stand by mine and say that I see no way he's back at 6-6. At 7-5 it'll depend on who the losses are to, and even at that it may not be enough. I just don't see him surviving with a loss to Vandy, UK, USCe or Mizzou. Top 5 class or not.

I do think 8-4 gets him another year though.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The answer is sitting at home on his couch. Our leadership is more likely not thinking about how to get him here, but whether or not the head moron in charge will do enough to be dismissed without raising too many eyebrows.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Who cares who's eyebrows it raises. Fire him and get Kelly in here. This isn't some Pee-Wee leauge, it is semi-pro minor league NFL ball, and only Alabama seems to understand this.

And I believe if he goes 8-4 AGAIN, you fire his ass.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's lucky his best recruit started going to Tennessee games in the womb

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We haven't had the balls to fire a coach in years. We let coaches dig their graves and lie in them. And we aren't satisfied at six feet, we have to let them just about reach the Earth's core.

7. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

McElwain has won the East both seasons he has coached at Florida. he is 13-3 in SEC regular season play.

if he wins 9 regular season games but not the division there is a decent chance he is canned at Florida this year, even if he wins a toilet bowl against a shitty Big 10 school (and if not fired he will enter 2018 on the hottest of seats in the SEC and country). At 8 wins or less I think the odds of him being fired increase exponentially.

That explains why Tennessee football is in the state it is in.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I agree with all of this.

Florida will not allow their coach to drive the program too far into the ground before pulling the plug, and Kelly's high-powered offense would simply prove to be too good for the Gators to pass up, IMO.

Comparatively, had Jones been to a single SECCG, most Vawlz fans would find it to be laughable that Jones was on the hot seat, and in fact, most would be clamoring to "lock him down" with a sizable raise and extension.

I think Florida essentially settled for McElwain. It's impossible for me to imagine that they'll do so with their next hire.

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

I would guess they will do considerably better than Tennessee.

10. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

If I'm Currie and Butch loses to Tech, I'm on the phone immediately with
    kelly's agent gauging his interest in the job. If he loses to Fl. or GA. he's gone.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Currie needed to be on the phone with Kelly 3 minutes after Davenport left his house offering him the job

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

13. dc4utvols

dc4utvols Contributor

This may be heresy but I will say it. I dont think Saban is all that. He runs a system and hires well. His staff develops his players and his system creates the depth and stability he has had. Now that being said, I think Bammer unloading the bank vault is a big part of the success as well.

So ponder me this. If Butch went to UT and asked them to hire Kelly and if UT was as committed as Bama to its FB program and gave him an offer he could not refuse $$$ what would you think of Butch were it to fall in place and we win 10?

Would he be any smarter? Nope! Would he be a better coach? Nope. What if Kelly stayed a few years and we won a NC? I bet all the coach speak would be forgotten. The story would be how Butch isnt a great x and o guy but has that HC thing down. He is like the successful CEO who hires people better than himself. ESPiN would sing his praises.

The difference? Commitment to unload the dump truck with the money. The admin are frauds and the recent revelation of income/expenses = profit show it. UT could afford a Saban but they claim poverty. There is no Mal Moore at UT willing to spend what it takes to get Kelly on staff as a QC coach to assist the current OC.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee paid Monte Kiffin a million bucks a year to be defensive coordinator.

Shoop is making a million now.

Tennessee is in the top 10 in spending on football coaches.

Money isn't an issue, it's who Butch spends it on

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chip Kelly isn't working for Butch Jones

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Exactly. It's a silly hypothetical.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch is too stubborn, or stupid depending on how you want to put it, to change his offense.

He ran a no read read option with Worley, started Peterman over Dobbs then let Dobbs throw it 40 plus times in his first career start, on the road against the team that led the sec in interceptions that year.

There's no defending Butch's offense

18. BigOrangeBeech

Any chance Currie cans him before the bye week if he starts 2-3?

Would seem like the perfect time to do it if we want to get out ahead on others and try and land Kelly.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He'd have to start 2-5 or 2-6.

20. BigOrangeBeech

The thing is, if he starts 2-3 we all know where the season is going.