California to confiscate guns?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Supposedly, starting Jan 1, 2016 Californians can rat out an ostensibly "disturbed" gun owner and the state can confiscate their guns for 21 days without any sort of due process. There's more to it of course (or nothing to it at all maybe...) but my phone has been blowing up all evening with folks bent all out of shape about it. I googled it and the usual nutcase sites like Brietbart and others are pumping it up but there are stories going back a few years about the same subject. Any Californians out there (I'm looking at you droski!!) able to shed some rational light on this?

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Should be a fun little witch hunt.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Until proven otherwise, I'd say this is either complete BS, or proposed legislation.

I would be shocked to learn such a piece of law made it through California's state legislature without anyone having heard anything about it.

Unless they are using some legal loophole, which would still be unlikely, due to needing LEO participation outside of simply "following the law."

4. Savage Orange

I don't see how it could be imposed, being a clear CLEAR violation of due process, if not the 2A... Hearsay testimony being used to take private, individual property??

5. Savage Orange

I lean towards the BS angle... Right wing extremists have made a living the past 8 years floating stories like this that are quickly spread on things like Facebook to gin up outrage...

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sounds like BS "they're gonna take ar guuuhhhnnnnsss Pawl" that gets passed around the internet every year. Unfortunately, no one remembers the disreputable sources to discount them in the future. Usually, it is spun as "we stopped it by speaking up!"

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Knock knock. "Excuse me sir, I'm with the local police department. Someone said you were disturbed, so they sent me over to come and take your guns."

Excellent plan. What could go wrong with a government worker showing up to a nutjob's house asking for him to surrender his firearms? I'm sure those peace-loving citizens would never resort to violence.

Dumb.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Especially if they went in hot after them.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh ya, that'd be a tragedy guaranteed.

10. Savage Orange

All of which dovetails with the room temperature IQ crowd narrative of Obama setting up martial law to stay in office...

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Be pretty sweet for a burglar to be able to ensure his target has no guns, though.

12. Savage Orange

I'm just waiting for somebody of the "cold dead hands" set to squeeze off a few rounds at the gov't when they show up with the confiscation van... It'll be on for sure then!

I still think this is scaremongering at its worst but then again, it IS California...

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

California already has a "confiscation" agency, that is used to re-claim firearms from felons, and those who are restricted from owning firearms.

I'm sure they'll propose to use those guys. Which would be completely idiotic, in that you're now sidetracking the group of people responsible for taking firearms out of the hands of known violators, and using them to take firearms out of the hands of potential violators.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Zuckerberg will give you 4.5 billion if you give away your guns.

15. Savage Orange

Throw in a unicorn that farts confetti and you got yourself a deal!!

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I could buy a few guns with that.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Civil War II??????

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You could buy a couple of tanks with that. Maybe a fighter jet too.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, people think this is real. It isn't.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's what they want you to think.