Calling non-retarded people “retard” is retarded.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 1, 2020.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I will spend the extra $ on cottonelle clean care til the day I die.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Ultra comfort care can clog the toilet if you are not careful.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Kirkland. Bulk purchasable at Cost Co.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Quilted Northern Ultra Plush up in this house.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Of all the syndromes, I thinks Downs is the best. Always happy, always lovable. Great syndrome.

Munchausen’s is probably the worst. [uck fay] those people.

Will try to work up a syndrome power ranking when I get a minute or two.

JohnnyQuickkick, A-Smith, NYY and 2 others like this.
  7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Fair, but then, I’m still not sure why this idea of “respect” is any suitable standard, at all.

I find myself having greater respect for people who are willing to say disrespectful shit, than those who won’t. I’d hope that I’d always choose a disrespectful truth over a respectable lie, and that everyone else would, too.

And what’s disrespectful to some, may not be to others. We see this here, all the time, and I think we’re better, and not worse, for it. Hell,

I’d argue that saying disrespectful things is a far better and much more certain sign of a deeper, better and more mutually respectful relationship, than in its absence. Think how well you’d have to know someone, and how trusting you’d need to be in your relationship with them to accuse them of giving hand jobs at truck stops, to call their deity a “fat heathen” or attack their familial ties as being inarguably leaning toward the Commie-loving. I find it more disrespectful - much more - when people don’t respect me enough to say things to me, and for fear that I’d find it disrespectful.

Or some may want you to care that others find what you’re saying to be disrespectful, and whether you do or don’t, you simply more strongly believe that saying what you think / feel / believe is more important than the dis/approval of others. Saying that “disrespectful” thing doesn’t necessarily mean that you have no respect for the offense of others, but that it’s less important than speaking your truth.

I don’t dislike “respect”, at all, but I just think it’s an woefully imperfect standard.

8. Tenacious D

This is disrespectful.
    I am offended because it makes me seem retarded.
    Your believing that making people who say “retarded” feel retarded is, in fact, retarded, and makes you no better than me.

Is it worse to call someone retarded, or to make them feel retarded?

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My intended point was made then.

10. Tenacious D

The limits of free speech are not boundless, amongst God and man.

I’ve given you the right to pick your avatar, but would not permit you to make it a nude picture of Hillary Clinton.

11. Tenacious D

I’d imagine that a large part of this is that they’re just as fragile as anyone else, but a sizable portion is likely the result of their trying to point out the hypocrisy of their being denied the exact same kind of inclusion / acceptance that others have demanded of them.

12. Tenacious D

Perfectly stated.

I used to constantly throw the word “[Ban Me]” around as a kid and young adult, until a gay person told me it’s origins and what it actually meant. He didn’t care if I continued saying it or not, and didn’t make any demands of me, but I don’t now.

13. fl0at_

Candor and respect aren't the same thing.

People should always tell you their truthful view (candor), but the words they use are the respectful side.

If you feel a specific word is the only way you can communicate the truth, you're limited.

And you should own that limitation, rather than deflect and say everyone else is limiting you.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This cracker here likes wet wipes

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Does "cracker" actually offend anyone?

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I've never known a white person who cared. I'm sure some do, but they are probably responding with the n word so who cares.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There was a huge discussion about it some 6 or 7 years ago when Tenny banned its use as akin to the "n-word".

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I find it very offensive and prefer the term "white chocolate".

19. fl0at_

Ok. I laughed.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What you describe is not "freedom." I'm not criticizing your limitation on avatars or the need for limits, but it is not boundless, and thus not "freedom."