Campaigning: What's the Big Idea?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It always makes me wonder how any candidate - of either Party - can be running at break-neck speed down the road to the Presidency of the United States, and be so nebulous and vague as to what exactly it is that they actually believe to be good / bad, right / wrong, want, think is best, intend or are what it is that makes them capable of actually accomplishing it.

I would argue that the reason that the electorate so often seems shocked, surprised and even betrayed by how an elected official changes, once actually in office, is because they never had any idea about what they actually believed or intended in the first place. Of course, both Parties us this to great effect, as it leaves them, their special interests and the elected official with a virtually clean slate in determining how to divvy up that power, which favors to repay, and the most advantageous directors to take, at least politically, and for their own sakes, alone. And frankly, that's only permissible because the American voting populace is almost entirely self and single-issue focused, largely lazy, righteously ignorant and largely apathetic - meaning, we have no one to blame for this mess, but ourselves.

So, let's test this theory, as things stand now. Tell me what you know about each candidate, what they believe, will do, think is best, and how they are uniquely capable of accomplishing these things, or anything else.

Now, as a gentlemen's agreement, for the sake of this thread, don't do any research, search the interwebz, etc., and let's not delve into the in/correctness of those things which you or anyone else lists, but instead, just focus on answering these questions about any candidate, from what you know right now:

1. What are their single biggest issues of importance or support for any candidate?
    2. What are their biggest wrongs to be righted, or most important things to protect and preserve?
    3. Can these things even be accomplished, at all, and if so, what does the candidate claim makes them uniquely qualified to bring it about?
    4. How do they intend to bring it about, and when do they hope to have achieved it?

List or answer as many or few candidates as you may like.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The only thing that I know for certain is that everyone but Trump is "Party, party, party." The only thing coming out of Cruz's and Rubio's mouths last night was "this is bad for the GOP and we need to stop him."

Dems were no better.

What about the country, you idiots?

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think the federal government should just focus on Liberty, justice, national defense, and infrastructure

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's been this way for a long time. Welcome to awake.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Answers for 1-4 are:

1. Do/say whatever to get elected.
    2. Do/say whatever to stay elected.

6. NorrisAlan

No doubt, all the way back to the beginning of time. But this year seems to have exposed it so badly that you cannot ignore it.

[​IMG]

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And as little as possible. Their egos won't let them shut up. Obama had a cakewalk and was too stupid to keep his hole shut. He almost let two horrendous candidates beat him. Well, maybe not the first.

8. JayVols

He acted stupidly at times, fo sho.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I agree it's more obvious, and I didn't mean to come off like a peckerhead.

10. NorrisAlan

No worries, you didn't. But anyone that uses "peckerhead" is alright in my book.

11. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

The one inviolable law of campaigning is to appear to be in the middle until you get elected and then spend 2/3 to 3/4 of your term pandering to your base and then run back towards the middle in time for the next vote...

12. NorrisAlan

[video=youtube;OUJ_jpqf0wU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUJ_jpqf0wU[/video]

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here, an easier question: What, exactly, is the "tent-pole" issue for each candidate, and how do they intend to specifically address it?

That this question is even a question, raises questions.

14. NorrisAlan

For Clinton, Rubio and Cruz, their tent pole is "Beat Trump". And they will do it any way necessary, which will mean they will fail.

Sanders I think honestly wants to help Americans (as I best as I can tell) by trying to economically level the playing field. How, I have no idea, but I am dubious about it at best.

Trump, he wants to be President. And how he will do that is yell about immigrants, call people idiots, and smirk a lot.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh, you don't have a captive audience here to sit down and type up 5 candidate profiles. I will give you my version of people's tent-poles.

Trump: immigration stuff must radically change.

Cruz: I was chosen by God to create a theocracy.

Rubio: I'm a nice real person/conservative guy who is willing to do what he is told.

Clinton: It's my turn, look at all these things on my resume.

Sanders: I would like to radically change this country into Norway.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kasich: Hi, I don't believe we've met.

17. JayVols

Whatever will get them elected. They don't give a rat's ass about issues.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha ha

spot on on all accounts

19. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I don't know and I don't care.

20. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

This may be your best ever post.