Can a samrt guy give me the readers digest version of the 6-1-1 SEC schedule?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Scorched Colon, May 30, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Swap auburn for mizzou, and im fine with ut's set up above.

2. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

You can't. Alabama is the permanent game from that pod. Mizzou is in a completely different pod

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Web, why don't you turn that into a blog/article? I like it.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, perhaps the Arizona/Colorado pod could be renamed the Rocky Mtn pod?

5. KingWebbsticles

I'm not sure I know how to do that. If I figure it out, I may come up with a full schedule for each SEC team.

I can do that.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What you have is 90 % of what you need. If you have any trouble, let me know. It is pretty easy to make a blog. Just go to the "new blog" button or whatever and it is just like a post. From there, I can elevate it to article.

7. KingWebbsticles

Ok, IP. I finished the blog.

8. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

They could also schedule 3 cupcakes, you know, like UK, Vandy, and Tennessee do.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And like Alabama and Florida do. And like every single other team in the league does. The only SEC team that doesn't play three non-BCS teams this year is Missouri (Arizona State, Syracuse, UCF, SE Louisiana).

10. cotton

This is a common viewpoint, and the only drawback to it is that it is wrong. Florida plays Florida St every year. I dare anyone to show me a tougher OOC opponent year in and year out. Bama has Michigan this year, Penn St the past two, top 10 VT and Clemson before. They have a heavyweight every season. UGa plays Ga Tech and added Boise last season. LSU's schedule has been insanely tough, SC has Clemson, and even the team with historically the weakest OOC schedule among decent conference football schools (Auburn) has added a real opponent for the past 3 years (also Clemson.)

Every team in the conference that is actually good at football plays a better OOC game than UT did last year or will this year. We have dumbed down our schedule, but the reason isn't that all the other good teams in the league do it. They don't. The bad teams in the league do it in hopes of going 2-6/6-6 and garnering that prestigious MCB berth against a team that was too strong for them to schedule during the regular season.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's only wrong if you change the question. I said that Alabama, Florida, LSU etc. play three cupcake OOC games every year. It's absurd to claim that they don't. Now if you want to claim that Tennessee plays four OOC cupcakes a year, you can make that argument for 2011 and 2012, but we haven't dumbed down our schedule for the future. I'm not sure what brought about this two year lull, but we still have Oregon, Oklahoma, and Nebraska on the docket. And we had Ohio State before they--not us--backed out.

12. cotton

We dumbed down our schedule for the past two seasons because we are not very good and because we are chicken shit. If your point was that the three teams that suck on everybody's OOC schedule are suck teams, then I agree. The difference is that the 4th team, the one that is actually a real football team on everybody else's schedule, is also a suck team on our schedule. And I will add that any game scheduled beyond 2012 is still in question, which is either a major or minor reason why future schedules haven't been dumbed down.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

kentucky, miss state, ole miss, and vandy have been doing this for years. this is why i laugh when SEC fans brag about having so many bowl teams. you can easily make a bowl and not beat a single over .500 team with that type of schedule.

14. cotton

I'd also add that the weakest end of the schedule has gotten weaker, as well. Aside from a last minute substitution of UTM in Dooley's first year (over which he had no control,) I do not remember seeing 1-aa teams appearing with regularity until very recently.

15. cotton

UT is following the UK formula: 2-6 in the conference, 4 patsies, and a MCB berth.

16. cotton

UT is following the UK formula: 2-6 in the conference, 4 patsies, and a MCB berth.

17. CardinalVol

That was a change made by Hamilton because 1-AA teams didn't require as much payout as the 1-A bottom-feeders did.

I'd love to stop doing this, or at minimum play only in-state 1-AA teams.

18. cotton

I know why it happened, but it doesn't change the fact that it sucks. As a fan, I'm angry about it. East Carolina and Air Force are out; scrimmages against JV Montana and Ga Southern squads are in.

I guess, though, if you want to avoid double OT thrillers against UAB or 5 TD beat-downs against Oregon, creating a slate of opponents that would make Vandy blush is one way to go about it.

19. CardinalVol

Oh, I'm not defending it. I'm just saying why it happened. Southern Miss became my favorite non-BCS team for a long time because we played them about twice every 5 years for a while.

On a related note, I saw an article a few years ago that I cannot find again that talked about the trickle-down economics of college football and how it played out from BCS schools all the way down to NAIA Division 2. It was pretty neat.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one thing i respect about USC. they've never played a div 1aa team. I'm all for playing the northwesterns and minnesota's of the world nonconference if you want a lousy bcs team.