Can Dobbs be Successful for UT at QB?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

"The point of a hypothetical is to provide a scenario that didn't happen but could happen as a means to prove a point. In order to achieve that goal, the hypothetical has to be based in some sort of reality." -Indy

So....

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Dobbs had a qb coach and an offense that played to his strengths, yes

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

His strengths are limited to running opposite of Hurd.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If Jason Campbell can be turned around as he was and Jonathan Crompton can be made an NFL draft pick, I have no reason to think a good QB coach couldn't turn Dobbs around.

5. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Agreed

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes. Based in some sort of reality. You based your hypothetical on the idea that UT is significantly more talented than UF (they're not) and the idea that McElwain is a significantly better coach than Lyle (he's not). Your hypothetical is based in no sort of reality. Mine is.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

His strength is running the football. You think he can stay healthy for an entire season running the ball as much as he needs to in order to have success?

And that doesn't even bring the turnovers into the conversation.

8. RockyHill

You're just plainly a dumb person. My hypothetical wasn't based on reality because we can't observe the situation where the teams trade coaches.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This conversation isn't just about his talent as a QB. If it was, there would be no need for a new thread.

10. RockyHill

And you said "eliminate the coaches from the equation". That's realistic. Step your game up.

11. CardinalVol

If all we are talking about it "can Dobbs win next year with current staff", then no. Because this staff either can't or won't utilize or highlight his strengths.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Either you didn't read what I said, or you're just choosing to argue against something else. I said nothing about trading coaches. The idea of trading coaches is an okay hypothetical because it's based in reality (both coaches exist).

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As in, assume he has a serviceable coach, and then consider the other factors (which are based in reality). That's a hypothetical. Christ, man.

You aren't considering the other problems I've presented.

14. RockyHill

You're so painfully thick.

Also, you said McElwain isn't a significantly better coach than Butch. That is major league stupidity.

15. CardinalVol

Every issue you have presented could be fixed with a competent coaching staff that calls plays that use his strengths and that correct seemingly fixable issues.

16. RockyHill

You're hopeless.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How does competent coaching fix fumbles and being prone to injury on a running QB?

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

As stupid as Butch has been in late game situations (and play calling in general), his losses keep looking better and better. UF still has 1 loss. OU just beat an undefeated team and catapulted themselves into the playoff picture. Arkansas just beat LSU, and Bama is still Bama.

Oh, and McElwain is nothing special.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Has Dobbs had a history of injuries? If drawing a blank on any games that he's missed due to injury.

20. RockyHill

I couldn't give a fiddler's f**k what his losses look like. McElwain won the East in year 1 after being handed a dumpster fire. I don't care what consensus is on McElwain, he's still worlds better than Butch.