Can Dobbs be Successful for UT at QB?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Everette Golson made the national championship game. For ND. And constantly turned it over. And was frequently injured.

And then went to FSU and barely turned it over again.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He is prone to injury?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This is the first full season he has played. Our coaches were apparently telling him not to run so he wouldn't get injured as early as the Arkansas game. And now Butch is saying he's injured, and people are claiming he looks banged up.

And he doesn't protect himself when running the football.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The first full season he's played. Yeah about that...

5. NorrisAlan

I wouldn't believe Jones if he was telling me the sky was really blue.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You're making an argument about a football coach using evidence my grandma could point out. Why do you refuse to dig a little deeper and form an educated opinion?

Were the turnovers largely fumbles?

And what are you saying? That the coaching at FSU is better than at ND, leading to less turnovers from the QB?

7. NorrisAlan

You don't think you can teach a guy not to fumble?

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm still trying to figure out how a guy who hasn't missed a snap (as far as i can remember) due to injury is prone to injury

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What about it? Are you going to tell me he has played a full college season before?

10. fl0at_

8 fumbles, 14 int. Last season alone. Percentage wise, fairly similar, but he split time the year they made the NC game.

Different. Doesn't have to be "better." But the style is absolutely different.

11. RockyHill

Whether you wanted it to or not your post made it seem like it had to do with injury.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So now we are blaming a player's fumbling problems on the coaches? Seriously? You learn how not to fumble as a grade schooler. The kid is a ****ing astronaut.

We would probably be better off with him missing snaps than we are with him playing limited with injury or to avoid injury.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So, around two seasons worth of starting and he's not had a significant injury, just stupid coaches telling him not to run. Don't see any injury issue to be concerned about.

The ball security issue is a problem.

14. RockyHill

There's nothing to dig up. McElwain has done more in one year than Butch has in three. Butch isn't on McElwain's level. You disagree with that. Defend that position coherently or stop talking.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I'm really focusing more on the frequency of his fumbles. I don't know that coaching can fix that.

No. It didn't. You misread the post. Not surprising.

16. RockyHill

What was the purpose of you saying it then?

17. fl0at_

Depends. If he is fumbling at a higher percentage due to the frequency of carriers, then you cut back his carries.

If his fumble rate per carry is consistent with others, he just carries it more, then it isn't on him. It's just football.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

He has only played the difficult stretch of our schedule one time. And he's looked injured, according to some.

I have pointed out the details of all of McElwain's wins. You just ignore it and call me names.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Ask Tmac.

20. NorrisAlan

No, I am not blaming the coaching on Dobbs' fumble issues. He is the one carrying the ball carelessly.

But I assume you can help a player with his fumble issues if you wanted to do so. I am not looking for a personal argument here, but simply asked you that question. Can you help a player learn not to fumble?