Can Dobbs be Successful for UT at QB?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Indy has gone bye-bye, Egon

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i would, but you mean bastards ran him off

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The details don't matter Indy. They don't matter. Auburn was shades away from being 8-5 in 2010 and they won it all. Results are all that matters, regardless of how you get to them.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The OP pointed out that he hasn't had any significant injury issues or missed any time due to injuries during his career. I said this is the first year he's played a full season.

I'm not saying he missed part of other seasons because of injury. I'm saying injuries at some point during the season are more likely when you play a full schedule rather than just half, which he hasn't done until this year.

Does that clear it up?

5. RockyHill

Oh I get it. It just doesn't seem all that relevant. He's a big guy, and it's not like he'd only played two or three games in each of the past couple of years.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But his carries are what make the offense tick. If you cut back his carries, the offense is less productive. That's my point.

As far as his rate compared to others, I'm not sure. Is there a stat that tracks how many times a guy puts the ball on the ground, regardless of who recovers?

So you're supporting Chizik as a great coach now? What the **** are you talking about?

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How is it irrelevant? Have you ever played football before? Serious question, not trying to puff out my chest or anything. A full season of football takes a massive toll on the body. A half season against the cupcakes of the schedule (plus Alabama last year) can't compare.

8. RockyHill

No, but you get the point, or you should at least.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That's a scheme issue. Think about it: how can one argue a guy is not good, while at the same time saying the entire offense depends on him?

If Dobbs were the problem, then him not running it should cause he offense to be more productive, not less.

If the argument is that him throwing it more leads to less production, he doesn't have to carry it to hand it off.

No stat like that that I am aware of.

10. RockyHill

To this point he has 9 more carries this year than he did last year, 10 games versus 6. I'm not saying it's meaningless, but he's a JR quarterback. If he were a freshman running back it's a different story.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Which point? The point that supports my argument that even shitty coaches can win a lot and get results. The list includes McElwain this season, Chizik that season, Jimbo in 2013, and more.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Every player on the field at this point is dinged up somewhat. I don't get how a running qb dinged up is so earth shattering.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because there are multiple parts to being a QB, especially for him. He's not good at throwing. He is good at running. If he's running, he's serviceable. If he isn't running, he is awful.

I think the offense could work with a better passer if they didn't try to run him 20 times a game. It's hard to know how the offense would work with a better passer.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because it limits him from running the football, and we can't score if he doesn't run the football.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Because our coaches limited him from running in at least one game to prevent injury. And we lost that game. Who knows if he's been limited in other games, such as North Texas.

Edit: your numbers might include sacks too. I'm not certain, but I would assume we were sacked more the last two years than we have been this year.

16. RockyHill

I'm trying not to mix arguments. Firstly, Jimbo and McElwain are not amazing coaches but they are worlds better than Butch. If you can't get that I'm sorry. I shouldn't have used 2010 Auburn as an example. But you talk about how McElwain has won and how Butch's losses look. That doesn't matter at all. Look at where Florida is and where we are. They are a legitimate playoff contender.

17. RockyHill

The O wouldn't work better, because without the threat of the QB keeping we can't run the ball at all.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You talk up McElwain, point out Chizik's title season, and claim Jimbo, one of the worst coaches in football, is worlds better than Butch. Are you going to be talking about how great Dabo is next?

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He doesn't have to run the ball to be a threat to run the ball. He just has to do it often enough to keep the other side honest. He can still hand it off.

He doesn't need to be a pocket passer to have a serviceable passing game, either. We don't even need to run a balanced offense.

He can be enough of a threat with his skill set, if utilized properly.

I'm not even convinced we have to have the threat of the long ball. Just find a passing play that works for him. Kiffin rolled Crompton out and got him drafted.

I'm sure someone can figure out a play that means Dobbs doesn't have to worry about leading his receiver.

20. RockyHill

Dabo is also worlds better than Butch.