Can Dobbs be Successful for UT at QB?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Indy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yes, because a QB who is a legitimate threat to throw the ball down field doesn't open up the run game. Do you understand anything about football?

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

1. Our offensive line won't allow for that.
    2. Our coaches won't do it.

If those two things weren't true I'd agree with you.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

So what's often enough?

I agree with what you're saying for the most part. I think better coaches could make him better. And everyone always brings up the Kiffin thing. Kiffin made Crompton better because Crompton was the best option at QB on that roster. We have other options on this roster who may or may not be better.

But I digress. This is getting away from the injury and turnovers points I was more interested in focusing on.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Our offensive line would be fine. The way defenses rush us changes dramatically with a QB that can make them pay through the air. Also, I think our coaches would throw down field if they had a guy that could do it. Dobbs is so inconsistent throwing the long ball. It's obvious.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Turnovers and injury can be scheme. If Butch and Co believed, as they seemed to, that they were getting a free pass for the early season, and needed the back half to become bowl eligible, and show improvement... and they are fully aware that everyone gets banged up over a season... then it's obvious that you limit carries early to keep the one guy you need to carry you foward healthy.

If you start trying to then do too much, or rely too heavily on one aspect of the offense, this can lead to more turnovers and injury. We'd have to look at carries per turnover to find out if he's actually turning it over more, or if it just appears that way because he's carrying it more frequently.

You're making the argument that a better passer on the bench makes his offense better. But that again can depend on scheme. Butch Jones offense has seemed, since before he even got here, to need a running QB.

It isn't like he's trying to fit Dobbs into his offense. Dobbs is fit for his offense. The offense just sucks.

I don't think it's a pass first. Or even often, offense. I don't think it is better with a better passer. Because that's not how it was built.

6. fl0at_

Butch Jones has followed Brian Kelly so many times his offense is probably a combination of: 1. things I can do with Brian Kelly players, 2. That play worked for that great team

As to 1, look at the types of players Kelly wants at QB, and 2: yea, that won't work.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't think they are though. He doesn't protect the ball or his body. You've seen him lay out for first downs and get nailed or lose the ball. I appreciate the effort, but it's not smart football. I get what you're saying though. It's probably a mix of both.

I still think it needs to be fumbles instead of just turnovers. You could fumble 5 times and not lose one of them. That doesn't make putting it on the ground 5 times okay.

I agree that the offense sucks. I think a great passer that has the ability to run when needed would make it look better than Dobbs can.

8. fl0at_

2010, first year as Cincy's HQ, he played a passing first QB, that could still run, that was a 2nd or 3rd stringer for Kelly. And took them all the way to a 4/5 win season.

In 2011, one of his "big years," at Cincy, he took that same QB and got beat by Dooley. The kid and Butch's team improved. But still. Dooley. Same questionable game decisions.

9. fl0at_

And this can't be Debord's offense. Look at 2006/7 Michigan. They probably took every snap under center.

And his Cincy teams were lead by Bajakian, who at least did throw the ball.

I don't think Butch Jones has an offensive identity.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Much MUCH better athlete.

11. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Duh

12. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

There is not a QB in the country that can win with this staff. This offense is garbage, and even though Dobbs is a shit passer, he is the guy who gives us the best chance because the o line is still dogshit.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not when you have an eight second handoff.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Dobbs is a shit passer, and this staff not only fails to help him in that regard, but they often hamstring him by telling him not to run.

It's a wonder that Dobbs completes anything, and is not surprising that Dormandy is looking to bail, given that the famed BSIA has put a MF'ing GA as QB Coach. But that's what happens when you overpay some of the shit-show assistants, and deplete your staff salary pool to the point to require it.

It's not much different, if any, of Fulmer not having a dedicated special teams coach for all of those latter years, claiming that different coaches handled certain aspects of it - he started paying positional people too much, and did away with the ST gig, so as to account for it. And unsurprisingly, just as with Dobbs' passing, our ST's turned to utter shit as a result.

Dobbs is what he is, and with the type of coaching he's receiving, he's not going to get appreciably better, save what he gleans from mere repetition and experience, alone.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The way teams rush us changes by being afraid of Dobbs gashing them when they over pursue and lose contain. Stick Ainge in there and they just run wild after him.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He injured his hand freshman year and supposedly has a foot injury this year

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yep

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I know our coaching sucks and what not, but I just wanted to circle back here and let everyone know that the correct answer to this question was "hell no."

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Still can't make the decision to keep or give.

Can't throw a strike.

I'm not convinced that fumble wasn't his fault in the 4th. Fils-aime reached up and hit Dobbs arm, as if the call were play action, but Dobbs never bothered to fake the handoff.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He still looks better than Nathan Peterman did and that guy has turned into a decent QB with a real coach.