Can playmakers overcome a bad OL?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Aug 17, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's looking more and more like this is going to be the question for the 2015 season I am afraid.

How much can playmakers overcome what is appearing to be a weak (or wose) OL?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

quite a bit with the right scheme. just need to get the ball out quickly.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dobbs did well behind it last year.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

See the bowl game.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He didn't spend much time in the pocket. They were still just as awful but he covered it up with his legs.

6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

After Dobbs came in, in terms of QB hurries and sacks conceded, we were statistically average. Not horrible, not bad. Our worst Dobbs game was infinitely better than several Worley games.

Our OL last year was just as much a very average OL as it was the QB behind it. I don't think we'll be great on OL but I don't think we'll be awful. So long as the sacks we give up (I think somewhere around 25 on the year) don't result in an injury for Dobbs, I think we'll be fine.

Up tempo and designed roll-outs will greatly help take the pressure off a mediocre/average OL.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The read no option will not work.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

UCLA had a top 20 scoring offense two years ago with arguably the worst oline in major college football. a mobile qb and scheme can fix many of these issues.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, but that answers the question if a playmaker can over come it

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Good thing that is in the past.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Dobbs ability to run and improvise should offset some of the difficulty at OL. The skill talent and D should be enough to get this team to 8-4. I'm still not sure this team has what it takes to rep the east, even if the east is bad.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

At least we hope there aren't any more ridiculous "ripples" in the offense

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Against average to bad defenses yes.

The better Ds with good DLs are gonna cause you problems even with great skill players.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

negavol. IMO

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

If Dobbs can handle the pressure this year and take a step forward from last year we can win 10 games with what we have barring injuries in key places. The defense is gonna be better, no question. My hope is that Debord can make a difference in playing to our strengths by calling plays.

All said, I still think we go 8-4. I think we will continue to see flashes of how good some of these players we have will be, but just think we lose a game or two that we shouldnt.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Yes.

Dobbs balance and agility are a 10/10 in my book. The moves he made last year to avoid the rush of very good defenders has largely been overlooked.

17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Do we have the coaching staff to overcome a bad O line?

18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Hopefully Debord makes a difference this year. We'll see.

19. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Starting with continuing to put Thomas at tackle. They've convinced themselves we don't have another option.

They either know what they're doing and we don't have another good option, which scares me.

Or they don't have a clue what they're doing, which pusses me off.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Speed, elusiveness, good decisions --- athleticism and talent can make a big difference