cards/braves thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Oct 5, 2012.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Wish Fredi would have punched that [penis] in the trachea, if only for the suspension for next year.

2. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Replacement umps?

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Outfield fly rule makes at least as much sense as this bullshit one game playoff, FWIW. Twice as much sense as Holbrook's continued employment beyond today.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Boy that was bizarre and awful.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

First time Atlanta fans have impacted a game in about 20 years, by the way.

6. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

A terrible, terrible, absolutely terrible call.

Throwing bottles on the field is embarrassing, but not nearly as embarrassing as that call.

7. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Hope they can't continue play. Bud, the umpires, and MLB deserve the black eye.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I just turned this on and have no clue what is going on. They haven't said anything except a shitload of debris on the field. What caused this?

Nevermind. Just saw the replay. Pretty terrible call.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. InVolNerable

Can't say I've ever seen IFF called when the ball made it 20 yards into the outfield.

11. KingWebbsticles

An infield fly rule that landed about 100 ft into the outfield, called when the ball was about 10 ft from landing. An awful, game changing call.

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

13. JohnnyQuickkick

Here's the truth, it still would've been bases loaded 1 out if they get it right, it's not like the go ahead run scored. As awful as the call was (and it was awful), a 6-4-3 or a couple of Ks and we're right where we are now. Maybe a couple of runs come in, maybe not, but it's a bit of a stretch to say it's so game-changing.

14. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

it's not a stretch at all. A double scores two runs and the Braves are one down going into the ninth. I despise the Braves, but calling the IFF rule that far into the outfield and, more importantly, that late is an awful awful call that should be taken notice of. Only thing I think a protest could do is the fact that the ump waited so long to call it.

15. KingWebbsticles

Bases loaded with 1 out and McCann batting is vastly different than 2 on with two outs.

t literally changes how the game can be played out. They can't tiptoe around McCann when bases are loaded.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I had given up as a Braves fan, so I kind of agree, although you're talking AB's with the tying/winning run in play. Would Matheny have gone to Motte? We'll never know.

Probably good that this overshadows the shitshow from the Braves' infield, except in the case of Dan Uggla (perhaps unclear: not good because I hate that [penis] rather than because Uggla wasn't a shitshow).

17. JohnnyQuickkick

Maybe "stretch" is too strong a word. There was still work to be done, I guess, is the point. Again it's not like the winning run came home.

18. InVolNerable

Does Motte ever throw anything offspeed?

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Also, McCann has sucked terribly this second half. Felt like there might have been some magic in the air, though. Maybe just beer bottles in hindsight.

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

but again, a double down the line scores at least two of those three runs, if not all three. It was a bad call and definitely could have affected the game. It doesn't matter if it wasn't the play that puts them ahead, it just matters if it does affect the outcome.

and again, I hate the Braves. And their fans.