cards/braves thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CardinalVol, Oct 5, 2012.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Another bad call. Terrible effort by the 1B though.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

His cutter is about 93.

3. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Great. It's down to Uggla.

By the way, ridiculous ending to this one given how much I felt the Braves weren't in it since the Holliday HR.

4. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I sure hope Sam Holbrook's house doesn't burn down tonight. Would be a real shame for someone who I'm sure is a real standup guy.

That wasn't sarcasm, by the way.

Neither was that.

OK, the third one might have been sarcasm.

5. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Would be even worse if Dan Uggla was being hosted at the house for dinner as some form of reconciliation for a soft focus ESPN OTL special. Not that they'd have any reason to invite Dan Uggla since he had nothing to do with the play in question. Just saying it would be worse.

Not sarcasm.

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

FWIW, I don't want an apology from Holbrook. Would waste valuable space in his suicide note, IMO.

Sorry for taking over this thread, by the way. Cardinals are obviously a well-run, successful organization, though for some reason I can't bring myself to wish them "good luck."

7. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

This game is one of Frank Wren's defining moments.. Freddie and Uggla... He's no Schurholz or Kasten. Need to clean house from Wren and Freddie to Pendelton and that worthless Former Met that was not even a good mediocre pitcher much less a coach! No wonder the Orioles ran Wren out of town.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  8. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

Makes you wonder what Steroid Selig was up to.. And how much him and the sorry excuse for refs had to lose if the Braves got in the playoffs!

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I've still not seen the replay, but as long as the infielder can get there "with reasonable effort" then the judgement can be made to call the IFR.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That was an awful call, but hard for me to feel too bad for a team whose 3 errors lead to 5 runs and left 12 on base.

11. CardinalVol

Technically, the call could be made. But, it was very ify.

12. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

Part of the rule states that the call has to be made "immediately." The errors killed the Braves, but that call ****ed the corpse.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

no offense to anybody, but Barves fans are quickly eroding any sympathy I might've felt for them.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Elsewhere or here? I was trying pretty hard.

I don't really have anything against the Cardinals now that LaRussa is gone (at least until the rumored post-game infield fly rule chant and Molina's classy "We played to win. They played to lose." comment). Saw my first game at Busch and was a Cardinals fan until I made the switch at age 6. Perhaps when the LaRussa era is a bit further in the rear-view I can start pulling for them again. But I'm a bit of an egalitarian once my team is eliminated (and/or lose interest completely) so I'd rather see a long-suffering fanbase get one this year.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

not so much here. i have a lot of good friends who are braves fans, they just tend to be a delusional lot. just had one say chipper is right up there with mantle, gehrig, and williams. typical of the ones i know.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

FWIW I'm not a fan of the "Infield Fly" chant either. They got a break, but should've just let it go. But it's one of those heat of the moment emotion kind of things too.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Umpires are taught to call it at the apex.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I couldn't care less about either. I despised LaRussa, but now that he is gone I actually can pull for the Cards a bit more. Jason Motte and I go way back and I consider him a good friend. If it were not for CardinalVol, I might even be a full-fledged Cardinals fan now.

19. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

Those guys played hurt, sick and still had incredible at bats... Chipper was on the DL for a hangnail... He is just a wuss!

20. CardinalVol

Just because I keep turning down your advances, don't take it out on them.