Chad Morris fired at Arkansas

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Oldvol75, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

justingroves likes this.
  2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Subscribe.

IP likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

But why the [uck fay] would anyone in the SEC take Butch Jones? Were they not paying attention?

4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Their recruiting has been awful so I'm sure his agent is showing the rankings of the readymade classes Butch stumbled into here. That's really all I can imagine that anyone could point to towards a semblance of an upside/accomplishment Butch had here. If he's the hire then their AD truly found one of the few names in all of football that would be on obvious and immediate downgrade from Morris.

Arkansas fans really should take a page from our book and raise hell until his name is removed from their short list or they risk falling into a level of futility that they cannot even begin to imagine.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. Tenacious D

I think you have a big piece of it here: recruiting.

They know how terrible their talent is right now, and he seems to shine in that area (however misleading that absolutely is) - plus, his two years at Bama will only accent that.

Also, and everyone here should also well remember this - the highest paid state employee is rarely a “football only” hire. You’ve got administrators, faculty, legislators and a wide array of people who aren’t “football first” who will have some influence over the hire, and who must be appeased and brought aboard. Butch will tout the APR at TN when he took over, correctly brag about how he improved it, and he’s not going to overtly embarrass you off the field, and will be a safe representative. That’ll greatly satisfy a lot of those ancillary folks.

Plus he knows the SEC and he now has two years at learning from the one who everyone wants to emulate in Bama / Saban.

Saban will do Sexton a solid and talk him up - and it won’t cost him a dime to do it. Instead, Saban’s value as a fired coach rehab will only grow, and he’ll continue to benefit from having former head coaches as admin staffers.

He has head coaching experience in the SEC, won 9 games in a few years at TN, went to a few bowls, ramped up the recruiting, graduated kids and is a safe pick off the field. Considering that this is the same program who just refused to continue to pay the buyout of one coach, fired his replacement some 19 games into his less-than-two-year tenure, and which is not only located in the toughest division and conference in college football, and sits amidst one of the biggest geographic shit holes in the USA....they could honestly do a lot worse than Butch Jones, as crazy as that is for me to type it, and must be for you in reading it.

He’s not a homerun hire, for damned sure, but he’s better than repeatedly hitting yourself in the [penis] with your own bat, and which is where they currently find themselves.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ummm, hand me the bat. Even if it’s one of those bats with nails and shit sticking out of it. Because that last paragraph is 100%, patently false.

utvol0427, IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. Tenacious D

I’m not saying that I’d hire him, or that he should be hired. I’m saying it’s not as preposterous that Arkansas could be considering him, or at least as it first seems.

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And I’m saying I’d rather beat my [penis] to a pulp with a rusty-nailed baseball bat than even get that mouth-breathing, buzz-cutted retard in the same room as me for an interview.

NYY and A-Smith like this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I can’t imagine Arkansas wants Butch. I honestly can’t imagine that Butch wants Arkansas.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Is Butch about to be forceably weened from the buyout teet? Is it already over that fast?

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Nope; there would be a reaction from fans that would make our Schiano reaction seem mild.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'm asking if his buyout is running out. If not, any talk of him taking a job is silly.

A-Smith likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

Fair.
    I share your sentiment, in full.
    We are in complete agreement.
    As it relates to us and to Tennessee.

But from Arkansas’ perspective, particularly given the current state and non-direction of their program, he checks a lot of important boxes, and the news that his name is being bandied about in Fayetteville isn’t as immediately absurd as it first seems.

It’s important to note that Arkansas is one of a handful of SEC teams that I just don’t feel strongly about, either way (along with Ole Miss, Miss. St., Texas AM and [probably] Mizzou being the others). I want to beat them in everything and every time we go against them, but I don’t otherwise care that they exist, beyond how it impacts Tennessee.

But there is a familiar feel to where the Arkansas program seems to be heading, having lived through the last 15 years of Tennessee’s historically low depths. As terrifically bad as it’s been for Tennessee, and as incredibly difficult as our digging out has proven to be.....Arkansas seems hell-bent on lapping what we’ve done to ourselves, but with neither Tennessee’s history nor anything close to its current resources. Simply, they’re plummeting catastrophically deeper, faster and have both more challenges and less means to turn it around and to get back, than we did and do.

If I’m Arkansas, I talk to Gus, and then I take a flier on an exciting up-and-comer...but if those don’t work out - AND WERE I THEM - I‘d try my best to stop the bleeding, even that meant calling Butch Jones. I can’t think of anything worse for Arkansas right now than an extended search, and which produces little more than a litany of leaked rejections and panic.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I hope they take Butch. I would rather he get promoted at Alabama after Saban retires, but that is just a wet dream I have every night, along with NYY in his sailor cabin boy outfit.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The few Arkansas fans I knew were very weird and felt through the Nutt, Petrino, and Bielema years that a national championship was always right around the corner and the only thing that kept them from multiple NCs over that span was bad luck.

justingroves likes this.
  16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jimmy Sexton

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Houston Nutt was close a few times, but he had to deal with Fulmer and Spurrier in their heyday, then Saban at LSU then Alabama.

Petrino and Bielema were, on their best days, 3rd in the SEC west.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

They may be looking for invol in Mindhunter season 3. Freak.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Lol inV is one sick [uck fay].

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

But Chad Fields VFL told me Drinkwitz was terrible when I said I’d rather have him as OC over Freeze