Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by awebb7, Jul 27, 2018.

1. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Anyone else going to the West Virginia game? Anyone in Charlotte? I travel there semi-frequently for meetings, but it's always a day trip - suggestions welcomed.

2. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Not sure what kind of suggestions you are looking for but I stay in Concord close to University Place about every time I go to Charlotte. Love it there. Plenty of good hotels for better prices and a lot of good food options

3. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Where to eat & drink pre/post game is high on the list. We are flying in Saturday and headed home early Sunday morning, so not much time to see the city.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I guess I’m the man for suggestions. I like it here but there’s not a lot of just can’t miss stuff. Great town for breweries if you’re into that.

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I will be at the game, and have lived off and on here for twenty years.

Close to the stadium in Uptown is what is called the epiCentre with a number of decent restaurants and a few sports bars, including Dale Jr.’s latest venture called Whiskey River. I think there are two other sports bars in the same vicinity.

A good restaurant to check out is Kings Kitchen. Great food and operates for a great cause.
    Google it for more info.

Charlotte is a really a city of smallish neighborhoods: Dillworth, South End, Plaza Midwood, and so on. A very good place to eat in South End is The Liberty. In Plaza Midwood there is a place called The Diamond, sort of gussied up Southern food. Very good. An episode of Homeland was filmed there. For bbq, I like a place called Midwood Smokehouse — several locations.

Around the stadium they are building more bars but it is still underdeveloped. It is an ok venue for football. It will be brutally hot that day for sure.

Parking is cheap and abundant. I would not stay Uptown for the game. Way too expensive. But plenty of cheaper options around 485 ring. Ubers are everywhere too.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Good suggestions. Generally I would say avoid the Epicenter at night but it’ll probably be mostly fans that night. Midwood is the best bbq in town imo but it’s not better than what you’d find in Tennessee.

Thirsty Beaver is a good dive bar. Noda is a cool area if you can deal with a lot of hipsters.

If you’re just there for the day I’d say hit up South End earlier in the day for bars/breweries/food. It’s a very walkable area.

7. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

knoxvol likes this.
  8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

A part of me wants to plan this trip. A bigger part of me says I’ll be pissed if I do.

knoxvol likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hahaha

If I only had 2 kids, I'd go. I'm not taking a 6, 4 and nearly 2 year old many places.

Poppa T likes this.
  10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Flying with the wife.

5 year old is going to her first game in Neyland later this season.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My daughter is turning into a small feral animal. We can't take her in public.

I'm only partially joking

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have traveled to so many games only to walk out with a loss. It sux. I think that I will sit out a few until the trend changes.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

This morning feels like a fall Saturday morning and is firing me up a little.
    I think we are going to attack at the point of attack for the first time in a long time. We wont play scared to make mistakes on D, then compound them by being mentally weak. If we see poor body language, i expect a ride on the bench, not keeping him out there with no help and allow the opponent to just toy with a mismatch.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think our offensive line play will be much better but that in general our offense is going to piss us off.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it's going to be surprisingly fun to watch. It's not going to be a well oiled machine, but we're going to see smash mouth, impose your will type running again.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And the ball will be thrown between the hashes again

17. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I'm finally excited to be going to games again.

justingroves likes this.
  18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Stop it. You are causing my nether regions to tingle and feel all sorts of funny.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

And shots downfield between the hashes.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What is this "post route" thing I am hearing about?