Christopher Hitchens Passes Away

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by volfanjo, Dec 16, 2011.

1. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Well played.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm actually feverishly working to get something ready to launch, so I can't go into it - but to answer your question re: your personal email

You can play a significant part in what we are about to do - but I don't know if you can be trusted with even being a member on this board, much less to deal with this other thing we're doing.

So, before I even consider letting you in on it, it'll cost your anonymity. I'm not trying to be a [penis], but the situation requires it, and once you here the plan, you'll understand why. In fact, to bring you up to speed on it, I'd prefer to call you, directly, instead of trying to do a thousand other things and type it all out, again, to you.

So, if yo want to know more - send me your personal email address and a number where I can reach you tonight. If you're not comfortable with that, I completely understand and no-harm, no-foul - but I think you'll understand my sense of caution, all things being considered.

And I am sorry to hear about your dad, and each of you are in my prayers.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Knowledge - social skills = Ted Kaczynski

4. supaturk

supaturk Banned

You are correct, VolDad. I have read his manifesto. The way in which he went about propagating his beliefs was obviously asinine.

I hope you are not insinuating that I am anything like Ted. I am simply a good-hearted kid with many mirror neurons who enjoys yanking chains and showing off my above average intellect.

I could name hundreds of smart guys who sucked major ass at being demagogues.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How many smart people with zero social skills are making $500K a year running global businesses?

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

This is going to be either something very cool or the most elaborate bait and switch in the world. Don't disappoint us Tenny.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I can see that you have some intelligence. The decorative fluff with which you coat all your writing is annoying and renders your writing ineffective for any purpose other than caricaturizing* yourself. But when I strip off that top layer, I can definitely begin to see sentences formed by someone with a brain.

But what is your goal here? What is your end game? Is it to bilaterally communicate with other people? Or is it simply to unilaterally communicate the message that "hey, everybody, I'm smart because I'm 19 and I have a good vocabulary."? If it were the former, I don't think anybody would have any problem with you and these types of conversations wouldn't exist. But I'm fairly certain it isn't the former. No no. It is almost certainly the latter. And maybe you could even get away with that if you at least made some semblance of an attempt to to funnel the latter through the facade of the former. Does that make sene? In other words, I don't care if your only objective here is to show off your vocabulary. So long as you go about achieving that end through means of actual human communication -- i.e. not being a juvenile snide asshole who appears to have minimal social skills -- then nobody is going to care that you only care about how you are being perceived.

There are a lot of different components to being smart. Let me state that differently. Intelligence can be a valuable tool that can open up many doors, but it is useless if _____. We can complete this sentence many many different ways. For today: "used solely for the purpose of showing off intelligence".

That life tip is free of charge. I hope you give it some thought.

*not an actual word