Classic Songs You Hate.

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Mar 31, 2012.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Witchy Woman--Eagles, Rag Doll--Aerosmith, Whole lotta Love-Led Zeppelin, Yellow Submarine--Beatles, Riding Around in My Automobile--Chuck Berry, Black Magic Woman--Santana, Lady--Kenny Rogers

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

And I third Imagine, it sucks.

I do very much like American Pie. And Sweet Caroline/Home Alabama are also very good tunes.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I dislike the Boston Red Sox and Neil Diamond so... agree with that.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think the Sweet Caroline hate is probably related to your brain's inability to not hear the annoying college dudes singing along even when they aren't around.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Anti-Semite, IMO.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Agree to a point about MJ. His early career had some real hits, but certainly he got to a part of his career where people worshiped everything he put out even when it was average if not mediocre.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think Imagine is bad at all, but I do think it's overrated.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

But I loved Bruce Pearl... confusing stuff, huh?

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Nearly all Jimmy Buffett.

A lot of John Mellencamp.

As I have grown older, I have realized how awful Aerosmith is.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The Beach Boys aren't really my favorite type of sound, but Good Vibrations was a groundbreaking song -- and it apparently drove Brian Wilson into insanity -- and still holds up imho. And God Only Knows is just a great great song, and my favorite song by them. Nothing else that they've put out I love.

11. kidbourbon

More than a feeling holds up for me. Paradise city too.

12. kidbourbon

I was really really into Jimmy Buffett in 8th grade. I know that sounds weird, and the reason is because I had older brothers who thought it was cool to be into Jimmy Buffett apparently, and so I thought it was cool to be into Jimmy Buffett as well. Anyway, the phase ended, and I didn't give the man a great deal of thought for many many years. So it wasn't until a couple years ago that I actually re-listened to some Jimmy Buffett and realized how mediocre it is. All of it. It's a complete gimmick. I wanted to go punch my older brothers in the face.

13. CardinalVol

His songs are fun and are about drinking and the beach.

That's why I have been told he's awesome.

14. kidbourbon

I'm not following. Why would #1 and #2 be mutually exclusive? Are you saying that a song cannot be popular and great at the same time? That it can't be entertaining and also be great....hawwwhaaat?

I can't separate out music like that. Nor do I think it should be. I think "Billie Jean" is one of the best pop songs of all time: it was played hundreds of times all around the country last night at clubs and lounges, and nobody thought it sounded dated. That makes it one of the greatest songs ever. I'm pretty sure.

Also, and this is just my opinion, as not everybody would rate this song quite so high, but I think "Man in the Mirror" was the best song of the 1980s.

ABC and I want you back are Jackson 5, but it's still him singing, so I'll give him credit, and so those songs are also timeless. And there is something to be said for a pop song that holds up.

15. kidbourbon

Human Nature....nice call.

PYT isn't at the top of MJ playlist...but to each their own.

16. kidbourbon

He's not like atrocious or anything. I'm not comparing him to Nickelback, Color Me Badd, Creed, All 4 One, or anything like that. But I certainly shouldn't have been pedestalizing him for any amount of time...not even when I was 14.

17. kidbourbon

Nice list. I love Zeppelin, but "Whole Lotta Love" is not one of my favorites.

I hate Carlos Santana with all of my heart and soul. There was a while there when it was cool for pop musicians to bring Carlos Santana in and have him play guitar on their track. It was also cool to wipe somebody's elses sandwich all over your grundle when they were looking the other way.

18. CardinalVol

He's still not worthy of the cult-like following he has.

19. kidbourbon

We are in agreeance.

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Dude, More Than a Feeling is one of the most fun songs to play on Rock Band. Love it and Boston. Paradise City, too? Each to his own, I guess.