Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Totally get where you’re coming from, but maybe my comparison isn’t apples to apples because if we were 9-12 I’d agree. I was talking when we were in the 14-15 range. It was always talented kids that this happened with, I think they all ended up on good travel clubs. We just had a good culture on our team and it just wasn’t going to accommodate kids whose entire life (and their parents) was baseball.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

In my son’s basketball league, any parent who shows their ass in any way, particularly yelling at a ref/coach/player, they’ll stop the game and bench their kid until it stops.

The ref / director will just grab the ball, ask whose parent that is, and the kid who raises their hand gets subbed out. No muss, no fuss.

It’s amazing how well it works. I’ve only seen them do it twice in four years.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So Nolensville Vs Brentwood 9-10 yr old playoff game took a turn this weekend. A parent for Brentwood dressed in color of nolensville, stood near the team and sent texts to someone on the other sideline with any information or plays.
    So weak.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Earhole their kid.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yesterday my LL had a D3 playoff game where the coaches according to witnesses screamed obscenities at each other in front of the kids, got in a pushing match, and nearly got in a fist fight. Fall ball and D3. good lord.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wtf?

7. Ssmiff

yeah its all over social media down in wmsn county area. Pics of the dad sent out now. Social media posts by Nolensville coaches, etc. One of the Nolensville dads told me about it this morning.

8. CardinalVol

[​IMG]

droski likes this.
  9. NorrisAlan

Did they have money riding on the game or do they need some serious psychological help?

10. Ssmiff

People are nuts man.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

So a friend of mine from Memphis was talking the other day about running a Spartan race at Ft Campbell this past weekend, and a couple of too loud conversations later, I find myself taking my 9 and 7 year olds for the 1 Mile Spartan Kids on Sunday. I've never seen so many crazy crossfitting people gathered together in my life. There were thousands of people there, and I was only there for one morning of a two full day event.

The good news is that both kids did great. The bad news is that both of them want to do it again. It's like some sort of healthy cult.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We’ve had multiple instances where parents on opposing teams were standing along the fence immediately behind our sideline (app. 2’ from our players) and shouting for their players to “break their legs / necks” or “cave their chests in!”.

Multiple instances.

The kids are 10.

droski likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

Wtf is wrong with people?

14. CardinalVol

My wife ran that yesterday. I fully expect to be questioned by police because both of her legs are covered black and blue.

Her training partner ran the one Saturday and was supposed to run Sunday, but slipped Saturday somewhere in the second mile and ran the rest with the following - broken foot, every ligament torn in her ankle, and muscle tear. She can't go back to work until NEXT Tuesday.

This, for "fun".

droski likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

There was a certain team that I will not name that did this to us in our Super Bowl last year to 7 and 8 year olds.

Good luck tonight.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i just watched the tape and 20 minutes earlier that same assistant coach who started the fight, not head coach, gets in a 2 minute loud argument with the ref about his kid sliding into third head first which is an automatic out and was clearly the correct call. guy gets in the ump's face. by league rules he shouldn't even be talking to the ump. at one point he screams at the ump "are you playing with me now!!!??" someone is about to be suspended.

edit: and during the argument during the two coaches which unfortunately is off camera and i can't hear, i hear a mom from the stands screaming "your children are watching you! act like adults!"

17. CardinalVol

18. NorrisAlan

19. CardinalVol

Right now is the absolute safest time ever to play football at high school and below IMO. There will always be injuries, but current helmets are way, way, way ahead of what was out there 10 years ago.

Do we need to be smart and keep making is safer where we can? Absolutely. But this chicken little stuff is ridiculous.

20. NorrisAlan

I'll be honest, it wasn't head injuries that worried me about my boys playing football, but knees, ankles and backs. Didn't want them being 45 and having knee replacement surgeries.