Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Basically the who thing is built off of two doctors that won't have a debate with other doctors about their research and methods, the NFL players union, and the media pushing easy stories.

the two doctors pushing it is trying to kill youth football, while they''re trying to corner the market on youth flag football.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

53 my son was invited for some Impact league a local guy is starting. I dont know all the rules yet but tackle football fans won't like it. Hes not trying to replace football, but create an alternative for kids to wear the gear and add some rules so there will ne no hard hits or shots below the waist.
    My understanding is its 3 v 3 with a qb, tiny field and a lot of grabbing. Only goes for 5 weeks in november. He mentioned a snack area including adult drinks so I told him we would try it. Sounds like a cutdown version of 7 v 7 but with full pads and some form of tackling. May end up looking really silly but its just a trial.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my sister had both of her ankles operated on when she as 16 because of gymnastics.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

I had at least 4 concussions and 3 surgeries before I left HS. Today, it wasnt worth it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You've been expensive your whole damn life.

CardinalVol likes this.
  6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What the ever loving [uck fay]?

Coach on Long Island suspended for too lopsided a victory, 61-13. Seriously, wtf?

Edit: and why are all BBC web links turned into stupid media links?

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We do it to ensure that NYY understands that we’re referencing the British Broadcasting Channel, so as to prevent his immediately suffering torsion fractures in each wrist.

NYY and utvol0427 like this.
  8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Start wrestling practice tonight. I don't know the first thing about it, but he thinks it's fun, so we do it.

9. NorrisAlan

You have bought him his feather and rhinestone lined coat, right?

10. CardinalVol

Using the one from when he did this 2 years ago. Gonna work on his wooos! once we get going,

11. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

12. CardinalVol

He did it when he was in 2nd grade and honestly wasn't half bad. He couldn't beat the roiders, but he destroyed the weakest and held his own against the mid-level kids that had done it before. He's much more aggressive now, so hopefully it'll turn out well.

13. CardinalVol

Was watching some of the old games from the boy's 7 year old year playing football. To say he's come a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong way is a huge understatement.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He fast twitch?

15. CardinalVol

Gettin' there

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Nice.

My son is fast twitch as all hell. Zero interest in organized sports. Frustrating as shit.

17. Ssmiff

first middle school Lacrosse game for us vs Clarksville and Franklin Saturday. Just fall ball but gonna be interested to see how he looks after a couple months of practices. Its such a change from coaching or watching practice for so many years. I have no idea what he looks like out there right now, but he gets the start at rt middie.

18. Ssmiff

I've had 3 boys and they cover the gamut from not not athletic or interested to gung ho. Wrestling, jiujitsu, track, agility work, tennis are all options for a quick twitch kid who doesn't like team or ball sports, but jmo, find out why he doesn't like them. One of mine didn't want to be embarrassed. The other one at one time dreaded games because he hated losing so bad. All that said, also jmo, if he has some gifts of speed or athleticism, gifts don't need to go unused.
    Guilt him into it if it comes to it.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The embarrassed thing is exactly what I'm dealing with, along with a wife that doesn't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to do. My son is awkward/backwards when it comes to social stuff and is afraid of being embarrassed if he fails. My wife was forced to play a lot of stuff growing up to the point she hated it and doesn't want to do the same thing to him.

There's not a doubt in my mind that he could be really good at baseball, and likely soccer and football if he tried it, and that isn't a "look how good my kid is" dad talking as he likely wouldn't make a girls team if he tried to play basketball. He just has a knack for all things baseball and is pretty damn fast. It's frustrating, for sure to watch it not be used.

20. CardinalVol

Just tell him if he doesn't do it you will be very disappointed in him and won't love him. Then don't talk to him again until he decides to play.

droski and Ssmiff like this.