Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I have not yet seen a legal USA bat that didn't suck.

It's like you took a USSSA bat and covered it with a quilt.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah they really took the pop out of them.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We tried it out yesterday. Hit it right and you still get the ping and it's got decent pop. Hit it wrong and it's another dead bat.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

so we made a decision to skip travel lacrosse in June this year and instead going to Duke and UNC camp, which will end up costing half as much as travel by the way. $1600 for travel ball to cover coaches, tournies, etc then you gotta go get a hotel for 6-8 nights, in Indiana and Ohio nonetheless. Want to get away from here and see what all is going one out there. Lacrosse is gaining popularity like crazy, but the number of local coaches who know what they are doing is behind the growth.
    I repeat, if you have a son or daughter, get 2 sticks from play it again sports and start throwing age 4-5. Especially if you have a little athletic girl. There is very limited contact allowed in girls lax and no stick swinging, so if you have a little bulldog of a girl or shifty with agility, her chance of getting scholarship in lacrosse are only bettered by golf and hockey, and much more action than soccer and baseball. I know we have some baseball folk and I played a ton so I get it but if you like back and forth with shot after shot on goal and a lot of running, its very entertaining from the sideline.

5. CardinalVol

I would not be shocked if my son eventually started playing it, but right now he's just mainly football/baseball with wrestling as something to do in the winter.

Ssmiff likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

That's been the path since I was in school and nothing wrong with it. Neither I or my son had ever seen a practice or game. He was hooked early. So many touches in practice and always 1 v 1 or 4 v 4 work so action action.
    My son getting a D2 or D3 scholly more than likely wont happen. Could, but his chances are 3-4x than baseball, football, etc.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

somehow saying "yeah i'll help coach" 3 years ago has turned into a semi full time job 5 months of the year for my kid's little league.

PilotFlyingJ and justingroves like this.
  8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Which is why I ran like hell

droski likes this.
  9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Just stop responding or doing anything. They'll figure it out.

droski likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

[​IMG]

droski likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

Yup. Now try doing that AND tax season at the same time.

droski likes this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the buyout of my partner completes right now right when i'm supposed to making the game and practice schedule for 30 teams. also we are completely changing our computer systems.

13. Ssmiff

Free knoxville clinic for kids coming up. Go to Farragutyouthlacrosse.com if in East tn and interested.

14. Ssmiff

Parents meeting last night. This is gonna be fun. Start out at MBA and also travel to Memphis. HC is old school, been around and looks like he could still bench 315.
    He mentioned PT. Said his job was to get kids ready to go play HS level and try to get them on the field as sitting g foesnt get them better. "If there is a question about PT, have your son come talk to me. If a parent mentions PT to me, your so will sit the next game.
    Last thing he said was, if your boys haven't been running, they are going to wish they had.
    Yes!
    Told my son that and he smirked. That's where we differ. I dreaded running. Despised ladders and such. Where my son doesnt really have the specific toughness for tackle football right now imo, and size has a little to do with it at 80 lbs, all arms, legs and feet, but I also dont see him wanting to go 100 mph and tackle anybody. He can run though and he almost looks forward to it

15. CardinalVol

Starting to send out info about football sign ups and spring practice.

It's here!

16. CardinalVol

Catholic is actually hanging with IMG today.

17. Ssmiff

Img took over when they wanted late. My buddy's son struggled as expected. Hes 5'10 at best and had 6'4+ on him all day and no room. But hes been dominating small schools and needs a little grounding.
    Welcome to how HS ball in Memphis felt every week when I was a soph. I had to play Elliot Perry, Orien Watson and Ronald Davis guarding me full court in a Christmas tournament at that age. Most stressful 3 nights of my life

18. CardinalVol

Girl from Powell hit the state record 391st three pointer of her career tonight.

19. CardinalVol

Reading through the USA Football Youth coaching book.

Of the 228 pages in the book, 38 are about O-line and blocking. I tear up every time I open it.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Shocked it’s that many.
    Just block someone is generally most youths blocking scheme