Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

our baseball schedule has been out for almost 24 hours and no one has complained yet. surely it's only a matter of time.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is really good. When I got it I was like you and thought it would be basic and was reading mainly the grab a few pointers..........

And then I got to specific position explanations. 104 pages going over all the offense and defense, and over half is solely offensive and defensive line stuff. It describes zone blocking in great detail for such a book.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Running zone at the youth level would be tough.

You could do it but it’d really just be track blocking like SAB or TKO

4. CardinalVol

We "might" pull a lineman on a play or two. Might. Most of the time it's base blocking.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

So son is in middle of brutal lacrosse practices daily. 60 kids tried out for middle school. They kinda let em all make it, but there are only 36 players left and mostly 8th grade even on JV. He comes home this week a little dejected, said they made him a defensive short stick. Come to find out when I googled it and we read about what coaches look for when picking the position, it is a position perfect for him. Makes me feel good to know the coaches know what they are doing and now since he knows how big the position is for the team, he is pretty proud about it.
    Again what a great sport for us to find. Open at what is probably #1 program in the state at MBA on 2/29.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe in pulling.

Trap at the youth level is stealing. Everyone on the DL is just shooting a gap.

Use their aggressiveness and poor technique against them.

7. CardinalVol

I love pulling. Well executed FB trap is one of the most beautiful plays in football.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You put the Good Times Deli phone number on the schedule, didn't you?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[uck fay] no. i don't put my phone number on there. my email is somewhere on the website though.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Didn't warrant a new thread and didn't know where else to put it, but why do UT coaches send their kids to Catholic? I'm biased but given the choice of Catholic and Webb I would choose Webb every time.

justingroves likes this.
  11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

They purposefully courted, recruited and cater to them, at first, and now it’s just sort of self-perpetuating.

They’ll all move or the next wave will go somewhere else, whenever a better deal comes along.

It’s why no open enrollment school should ever be allowed to compete with closed-enrollment schools, but I hold the minority opinion on that around here. Everyone else not only thinks it’s a good idea for recruited composite teams to compete against actual closed enrollment teams, and not only fail to be ashamed of the “accomplishment” of their teams / schools / kids “winning” such grotesquely unfair and utterly rigged setups, but actually take pride in it. It’s indefensible and ridiculous.

Essentially, this system is unavoidably inherent to guys who are trying to make up for their own insecurities, and which almost undoubtedly arise from the pervasively deep-seated and dichotomous feelings of inferiority and shame in their having an insufficiently small penis, but while still enjoying the sexually excitement in fantasizing that a more well-endowed - and better - man sexually satisfying their significant others / wives in ways that they cannot.

So, this current system allows them to play out these cuckolded fantasies in a safe and more socially acceptable way. It’s really no more complicated than that.

Let the rationalizing by the small penis and closeted cuckolds commence.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Why?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  13. CardinalVol

Football wise? No way in the world.

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I read this all in this gender-neutral, anti-Trumpers voice and it fit perfectly:

Tenacious D likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

B Maze aau team has I believe 4 or 5 kids on knox catholic team so as far as athletes and basketball, other coaches, generally, have kids playing something and send them to where iron sharpens iron the best. As far as football and perception here locally, Catholic is seen as a power program and Webb more of a soft program athletically.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It feels like Webb went downhill athletically when Todd Kelly left where as Catholic’s rise coincided with Harrison Smith’s success (though the new campus and top flight facilities haven’t hurt at all, and probably are the main reason).

Catholic never beat Webb when I was there and in fact they absolutely destroyed us all 4 of my years. They ran all over our guys with Terry Copeland (I think was his name), who was 100% recruited by them to play football.

I certainly understand the private vs public split, and I think it was brought about by Brentwood Academy’s domination in 5A with an enrollment of like 40 kids (hyperbole)?

I thought the multiplier required by private schools that wanted to play public ball was an interesting fix, though as I understand it, that’s no longer a thing?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  17. CardinalVol

All privates are in their own division now.

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Granted it's been 15 years since I played at either, but Catholic had shitty facilities and they weren't much better than Webb when I was in school. Webb on the other hand seemed very old money. Better facilities, and were playing a better brand of football at the time.

IDK I'm not in tune with Knoxville HS sports at all but I just don't get how Catholic gets all these coaches kids and talent over a school like Webb.

19. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I was Class of 07 too. When did they move? The last time I played there was 04 and their facilities were nothing special, even for HS standards. Webb was for sure one of the best, if not the best HS stadium I ever played in

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Why am I biased or why would I choose Webb?