Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Better than any good day at work.

I guess Im gonna have to go on vacation to get in a round.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Alright. I have been to the range 4 times and now played 3 rounds of 9 holes on a par 3 with my 13 year old. He seems like he is very interested in the game, and I think it suits his demeanor and outlook. He struggles with team sports because everyone else is a doofus and doesn't try (in his mind).

I am now at a crossroads. When I played, I shot in the mid to high 80s. So I know the game, but am not great at it. I can give him beginner advice, things to work on, and to his credit, he actually takes them to heart and has already straightened out his shot some what (though still gets the hands through before the club and pushes/slices to the right too often). BUT! I don't want to ruin him out of the gate and would rather he learn from someone that knows wtf he or she is doing.

Anyone know of a good coach around Knoxville that will not try to beat the fun out of him and will work with his natural swing and not try to turn him into a robot? I fear that a bad teacher early will just crush any fun and enjoyment he has, but no coach will just make it that much worse.

Any advice?

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Meet the new norris - overbearing sports parent.

Change his name to Tiger yet?

4. NorrisAlan

Tiger is a [ussy pay] name. His name is Benjamin, as in Ben "I'll destroy my legs in a car crash and still almost win the Grand Slam" Hogan.

CardinalVol likes this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Your boss must suck

VolDad, Beechervol and NorrisAlan like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

NA has potential with that skinny height. Made for a golf swing

7. CardinalVol

I just realized 3 Year Letterman is from Blount County.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

This Grand Park in indiana has 30 baseball fields.

9. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Clubs matched to your swing goes a long way towards improving your game.

NYY and NorrisAlan like this.
  10. NorrisAlan

We just picked him up some second hand Dunlop men's clubs. Light weight, but longer than Laura's women's clubs he was using and thicker grips. Big cavity back on the irons are more forgiving and we went to the range last night and he loved them. He was getting them in the air better, too.

I am actually giddy about this stuff and trying VERY VERY VERY hard not to be terribly overbearing and pushing him too hard. I might have more understanding for Little League parents now.

11. Ssmiff

Gametime. And just when i thought my 13 yr old was growing as he grew 2 shoe sizes since March, we get here and again cant believe the 6-1-6'3 kids all over the fields.

Attached Files:

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Our club has a couple of pros that give lessons, I'm sure there's a couple around town that have them too.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

https://www.golfpass.com/watch/shows/michael-bannon-breaking-into-the-game-juniors

They've been advertising this during every round I've watched so far. Wonder if it'd be an easy introduction into "lessons" with low investment. Maybe you could get a free trial to GolfPass to access it.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Get the kid a Perkins waitress and his game will sort itself out.

15. CardinalVol

Not flipping fall and spring sports.

Football has three options

7 games and full playoffs
    8 games and 4 roudns playoffs
    9 games and 3 rounds playoffs (region champ only)

In first 2 teams not in playoffs can play 2 extra games.

16. CardinalVol

They have asked governor to let TSSAA fall under the college and pro sports exception.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think we’ll be playing

18. Ssmiff

Tssaa today saying they are looking at 8/30 contact practices and 7-10 game season depending on playoffs. Good news is it appears they want to make it happen and have given 3 proposals.
    Maybe its not such a bad thing overall. Imo football has started too early and too hot nowadays in the SE. Let it run into december. More fun for kids to play in december than late aug and early sept.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

T$$AA has to make it work or they have to cut their salaries.

Tennessee was the first to delay the season. Now Michigan governor wants football moved to the spring.

I’m on a coaching board and no one thinks we’re playing. Just waiting for the first state to cancel and then everyone else will too.

20. NorrisAlan

Whelp. Son got me in the head with his putter tonight. He says it was an accident but I had taken the last five holes from him so I think it wasn't completely innocent...

Ssmiff likes this.