Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The head coach politely did that and got an apology. The dirt kicker went Brett with pine tar

CardinalVol likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly. One of the big things you are teaching these kids is both for the runner to not touch the middle on the base and for the basemen to not crowd and block the plate. I had an ump call interference because my second baseman was actually on second base. He was right

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Now football? There's already bets from parents on how long it takes to get an unsportsmanlike.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I won't be able to coach football. I couldn't even handle myself during intramurals at Tennessee coaching girls' flag. I kicked the flag back at the ref

CardinalVol likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

That get you 15 more?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You better warn the other coaches. Some kid is going to be kicking the dirt in the infield and get his head taken off.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I would have formally protested the game right there and then.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

We have, several times.

droski likes this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Thrown out

10. CardinalVol

I've amazingly only been tossed once, in church league softball.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Never was tossed but many glares as i made my points while "coaching my team". Got really good at it.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

In high school basketball, we used to do a "take the charge drill". It was not my favorite.

13. Ssmiff

We did that after a couple of games. Kid named Chris Peoples from Millington put up 45 of his teams 55 points and no 3 pt line. Coach was pissed and we went to the back gym at millington and ran over each other for 15 minutes.

14. CardinalVol

I ran that with 5th and 6th graders one time. Twas fun.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I always tried to position myself in line with the 5-6, 125 lb. kid. Once, I got our 6-6 all-state center who was also the state champion in the high jump and 300 hurdles. I carried a circular purple imprint of his kneecap on my chest for a week.

It's one thing if it's a physical drill where you can give as much as you get. But, just sitting there, hoping not to a knee in the nuts? Sucks.

16. CardinalVol

About 30 minutes into practice tonight it started pouring, so I did what any football coach would do.

I went and grabbed the dummies and we started doing Oklahoma drills in the rain. The boys LOVED it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

Maryville beat Alcoa. Alcoa D is as good as advertised even if their offense has some room for improvement, mainly on the sideline.

That said, no one in 3A will stay withing 35 points of them.

18. CardinalVol

This guy is my hero.

19. Ssmiff

8th grader had a goal and 4 assists today vs MBA in fall box lacrosse 11-6 win. Talk about gassed kids. His fitbit or whatever read over 3 miles run, mostly 30-40 yards sprints.
    Such a fast game

CardinalVol likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

My cousin is now playing for a softball team sponsored by a bail bonding company and I've not laughed harder in a while.

justingroves likes this.