Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

How’s lacrosse?

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Good man thanks for asking. Really enjoy the sport. Kids are getting bigger and hitting harder so we are trying to put on some weight but hes rail thin. 1 more week of fall ball then reboot in mid jan

chavisut likes this.
  3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Learn to love milk haha

Is school season fall and travel winter?

4. Ssmiff

Theres fall 7 v 7, spring season 10 v 10 for boys and girls and travel is june and part of july

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

January 19th and already turning away 8 year olds from playing football this fall.

This is why I told UT no thanks when they called today. My gig is better.

6. Ssmiff

5 kids already quit after 3 lacrosse practices. Think 2 mile run, 80 and 60 yard gassers was a big reason. My son has never minded that stuff thank goodness and gonna be in great shape soon.

chavisut likes this.
  7. CardinalVol

Had signups for football on Tuesday.

My 7-8 year old O-line has a chance to average over 100 pounds across the board. 4 of them started last year at 7 year olds. I'm excited.

8. CardinalVol

Baseball tryout #1 today.

Had a 12 year old that is playing for the first time. Honestly not sure he'd ever picked up a bat or ball before today. We're already in "this kid is going to get hurt if he plays in the majors" mode and trying to figure out a way to send him to minors.

9. CardinalVol

Had our league draft yesterday. Without really meaning to I have assembled the Little League version of the 1980s St. Louis teams. Bunch of really quick kids with a masher to bat cleanup.

10. Ssmiff

lacrosse starts this week. Got one game in last year before being cancelled, so hope we don't get rained out. Start out v Father Ryan tuesday, who has a 6'2 kid from Maryland already getting college looks in 8th grade. Nasty player with an 80 mph shot. Then to MBA saturday for a tourney to play MBA (who may have some kids driving to games in 8th grade as they hold about everybody back and are loaded), Ensworth and CBHS. Talk about a challenging schedule the first week. We may go 0-4 as we are thin this year, but looking forward to the season and my son will play more than he ever has. First season was developmental and 28 players so not much PT. Last season JV cut short due to covid after one game. 19 game season this spring and he will play a lot as we only have 14 players and only 5 middies, which is the toughest position to play as they have to run a ton back and forth on O and D.
    Amazing some of my friends still haven't seen a game up close, but claim there aren't athletes on the field. About 10 football players came out this year and were run off (they don't cut) due to the running and didn't like being whacked with a stick, and couldn't hold onto the ball anyway. Only the qb and a wr stuck with it. Everybody on the field can run, but the Dpoles tend to be a little bigger and slower, and the kids who play Attack don't have what it takes to play hard defense and just like to shoot after middies do all the work.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Anyone have a recommendation for youth's catcher's gear? my son is 8, average height, a little heavier than average. everything i've seen seems designed for older kids. i'm ok buying a 9-12 set if he'd fit into it.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Two things..

Make sure it has NOCSAE stamp on it. Those are certified and most places are requiring it now.

Second, don't ever get the velcro options. Get ones with hooks, but at this age don't get anything that will break the bank.

droski likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nice thanks. i was looking at that

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The hooks will adjust, so if they are a little big, it can be tightened to fit pretty well. My son is 9 and small, and these fit well to him.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

thanks for the info. i was worried 9-12 might be too big for him. i can always return given it's amazon.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is the catchers mitt he already has. It looks small compared to what the LL league gave me, but the sizing things online say he should have smaller. any thoughts? it's 31.5 inches

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

If he can catch with it, and it doesn't slide off his hand... roll with it. Catcher's mitts are more difficult to break in, so most likely the one he already has will be the better option.

droski likes this.
  19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'm also a big proponent of "two in the pink."

Before all the perverts get here, have him try putting the pinky and the ring finger together in the pinky hole, and it slides the whole hand over. Gives kids a much more stable grip.

droski likes this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Too late