Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"You take strike three, you are not playing the next game" ?

I don't know the age you are coaching, so I do not think a negative training method like this will work, but yeaah, I don't know how to coach aggression.

Ssmiff's idea is probably a good one, until the opposition catches wind and they just throw it 3 feet outside the box on first pitch. But for a few games, it might be worth doing.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Sounds like Brian Nix from Alcoa is your front-runner at Cat'lick.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Butch like

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Gawd daaaaamn

5. CardinalVol

Well, this was wrong.

Won 6 to 1. Kids played the best game of the season. Starter went 5.2 innings, 1 run, 2 hits, 9 ks. Threw a fun gem.

Batters 4 through 10 scored all runs. (We bat around.)

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

@Ssmiff give me some basic LAX rules.
    Shot clock?
    Does a player have max time they can be in possession?

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Shot clock in college but not HS, but refs can call stalling if they think a team isn't trying to play the game to score.
    Can't get in crease around goalie.
    Always have to have 3 players back of midfield (dpoles), 3 attack on offense and 3 middies who run back and forth.
    Lots of subs for middies since they are sprinting over and over.
    You can poke with the stick in the gut or chest on defense, lower your shoulder and push but full arm extended cross check like hockey is called. No hitting in the back or helmet.
    X is the offensive player behind the net, so the object is to get shots off. If the shots go out of bounds, the team with the closest player to the ball as it goes keeps possession.
    Picks are allowed but not moving picks
    Great game on right now with Maryland v Johns hopkins.

8. CardinalVol

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Lacrosse season came to an end last night. Really enjoyed this year. We only had 2 subs and just didn't have enough to hang on in 4th. Son played the whole game and passed out in the car on the way home. Something to be said about character though. Our kids don't run their mouths and play good ball. Soured a little at the end as at the buzzer, 2 Nolensville kids yell "[uck fay] you brentwood" at our parents on the sideline, this after some of their parents almost got booted from the game. 7th/8th graders acting a fool. Hope they get whipped in the final

10. CardinalVol

Literally the only positive I can say from our game tonight is that the boy is starting to hate losing as much as I do and may finally be expecting more from himself on the field than I do of him.

11. CardinalVol

Tonight we learned that just because a guy umped in Williamsport that doesn't mean he's worth a shit as an ump or a human being.

justingroves likes this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've found all the guys on track for williamsport to be conceited asses. we had to ban a couple because they'd do shit like throw parents out of games for making comments about balls and strikes. no thick skin.

CardinalVol likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

Yeah, yeah, that first part is right. And if/when I do get tossed, I'm getting my money's worth out the door. Wednesday night was first and only time I've ever told my team congrats for winning a game 9 versus 11.

Ironically, the only issues I've ever had with umps other than disagreement on calls were both from umps who had been doing it for 25+ years.

Even as a 7 year board member, I'm going to lose this fight though. President is too infatuated with him and his younger cohort.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we just want reasonable guys who will work with the coaches and help keep everyone educated. no one is a pro. stop acting like it. if a coach does something he's not supposed to do assume he doesn't know the rule. don't start at [penis]

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

got an email from a guy who coaches in my division asking how many days he needs to rest his pitchers. keep in mind this is more than halfway through the season. this is also the guy who complained i was "rubbing it in" because i was sending kids home because his infielders were sitting on the ball. last time i played him his first baseman was literally spinning in circles the entire 6th inning and he said nothing to him.

16. CardinalVol

95 times out of 100 if I ask a question, it's just to make sure I understood the call correctly. If I ask about a ball or strike it's so I can have my pitcher adjust and know that we're not getting that call tonight.

I'm fine until they get an attitude, at which point I'm happy to return it.

17. CardinalVol

The ONLY reason I backed down the other night at all was because that was a game we had to win, and I knew if I got tossed the boys would be so rattled they'd blow it.

droski likes this.
  18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly.

we had a junior umpire who did our game and the kid looked like he was stoned or something. i counted 20 full counts that eventually went to walks in that game. i was playing my buddy who's kid is the best pitcher and the catchers glove wouldn't move and he was calling balls. game ended up like 18-13 almost all walks. i talked to my buddy and we are like what can we say except "you are doing any awful job"

CardinalVol likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

I've become friends with some of these guys. They were teenagers calling out tee ball and coach pitch games and now they are calling our 11-12 year old games. I'll talk to a few of them in between innings and say you know you blew that right? And they'll either laugh, or if it's a close call I'll talk about what I saw, what he saw, etc. But yeah, it's the guys that have been doing it forever who think their shit doesn't stink.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm generally good with them, but this kid was arrogant too. i made sure to go over the division strike zone and he seemed offended right before not calling the division strike zone.