Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I now have 5 kids out for my game on Sunday. Everyone is like “I just assumed we wouldn’t have games on Memorial Day weekend.” The schedule has been out for months

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup!

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Found out last night 4 brentwood kids made all conference in lacrosse and my son got 2nd team middie. 1st team middies are a good step above, but still good for him. First team 6'1-6'3 and men amongst boys for 8th grade. My son is 5'5 and 110 string bean. Now we start travel next weekend with trips to Atlanta, cincy and indianapolis in June, where we see lacrosse teams who have been together for years and nasty D1 talent

CardinalVol likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

It's getting spicy in coach pitch here.

The team that won the league has outscored it's opponents by an average of 17-3. They've beaten a couple of teams 20-0. They don't call the dogs off and pissed a lot of people and coaches off.

So when it came to all-star time, they coach who was in second got voted as the coach by the others. 1st place doesn't automatically get it for situations such as this in what is called out "jackass checks and balances". So now the assistant coach for that team is telling all the best players not to play because his feelings are hurt. It's ridiculous.

justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My t-ball coaching career began this month. I'm the assistant coach, but I'm already seizing power. Basically took over the last practice. The head coach seems to think these kids know all the rules of baseball and what to do. They're 4 and don't. Three of them run to the pitchers mound after hitting it and we've got fielders who think they are base runners half way through an inning.

If he has heart surgery at any point, the job is mine.

upload_2021-5-28_10-26-48.jpeg

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

Austin-East won Class A soccer title today. Feel great for those kids and coaches.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good lord. All stars for 7 year olds?

NYY likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Horrible lesson for 7 yr olds

9. CardinalVol

Season over. Never were able to hit the ball good enough to reach full potential. But, return 9 of 11 players for next year, so I'll take my chances.

All star practices start Monday. Trying to figure out why the wife didn't veto this idea.

10. CardinalVol

If any of y'all want to send your boys -

[​IMG]

11. Ssmiff

we head to Atlanta this weekend for The Opener lax tourney. Watched some practice yesterday. We have some ballplayers, of which my son can't compete, and will still probably be throddled. 2 weeks of practice with a travel group of kids vs some teams who have been together for 7-8 years. I still can't believe the size and speed of some. 6'1 175 14 yr olds who can move and are very physical

12. CardinalVol

Aaahhhhhh, parent confronts coach in the dugout because the coach intentionally walked her son up 6 to 5 with tying run on 3rd.

Some woman got mad at me Tuesday for walking him with 2 out and the kid behind him batting 0 for the season against us.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people lose their mind here because of intentional walks. Even in 12u

14. CardinalVol

This was 12u.

I'd not do it in regular season, but in tournent I will.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we had a kid who hit 7 out of the park home runs during the season. He got walked a dozen times at least. They don’t always make it obvious though

16. CardinalVol

I stood up and held up 4 fingers then sat back down on my bucket.

droski likes this.
  17. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I know this probably goes without saying, but don’t make the Kosher Jewish kids on your team eat pepperoni pizza y’all.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wife and I stopped into a deli in old city downtown Knoxville many years ago. She is looking at the menu...

"Do you have ham sandwiches?"

Owner: "My mother would roll over in her grave, sorry."

Was a kosher deli. And she is from Long Island, to boot. I still laugh at her about that.

emainvol likes this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ga athletes are just different in general than what we normally face. Never seen so many leg muscles on 13 and 14 yr olds. Anybody heard of Lambert? Holy cow. Getting blown away down here. Games cancelled today due to fields flooding. Usually I hate cancels but get me tf out of here.
    Doesn't help our kids only had 4 practices and didn't even practice as a team coming into it, but it wouldn't have mattered too much. Believe this is our last summer with this particular travel team.

20. Ssmiff

Championship Sunday. Not sure we have the juice, but beat Cleveland, Cincy and Chicago yesterday in 90 degree heat. Good showing by the boys. Undermanned and only 4 subs but refused to lose. End of Chicago game a frustrated kid from the other team swung and hit my son in the head with about a minute left. Refs called the game. Almost team brawl. He went down, got back up quickly as they separated the teams, ran to the scorers table, picked up the little portable flipcard scoreboard, carried it on the field and shoved it in the kids chest. It. Was. Awesome.