Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Beat Columbus and their whiny osu fans today. Indy and Cleveland again. Trophy coming back to TN after being down 5-0 in final
    6 games in 24 hours and 4 subs. Kids showed some moxey Resized_20210613_161514.jpeg

2. Ssmiff

Most scared I've been watching my kids. Son takes probably a 70 mph shot from 6 feet away off the neck. Down for 2 or 3 minutes. I felt helpless. Came back in the game and made me about tear up.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a game in years but my understanding is they've moved a little bit more towards how the game is played up north in terms of what you can get away with hitting people. Don't know exactly what that looks like though. When I played in high school 10 years ago some of the hits were more violent than just about anything you'd see in football.

4. Ssmiff

It's a great sport to watch from the sideline. I wish it was around in my day in memphis but it wasn't. Still some big hits and too many slashes. Thing is, penalty only seems to be for about a minute, so players still do it, and, if the game is in hand, watch out the last 3 or 4 minutes.
    This was a sidearm shot from a really good and big player from Wisconsin. He started his run at midfield, beat our defender easily and my son slid over to pick him up just as the kid wound up for a shot and took it off the neck/bottom of helmet from about 5-6 feet away. Sounded like a gunshot on video. Besides a bloody earlobe and pretty big bruise, he was fine. Scary though for sure. Thought it got him on the front of his neck but I guess he turned a little just after release.

5. Ssmiff

Another dad caught it. Not good quality, but on the left you can see him dart over, then stopped in his tracks as you can hear the ball hit him and a "ohh" from a couple parents before it cuts off.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I played a position on defense where I was basically the first help defender in front of the goal if someone got beat. If I couldn’t get there before they let it fly I’d just jump in front of it. 9/10 I’d manage to get to hit my pads, but I did take one in the throat one time and thought I was gonna die for about 30 seconds but I was totally fine, just scared me.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

11u all star team my nephew is on had bases loaded with one out down 7-6. Kid hits a sort of pop fly 7-10 feet into the outfield. Base umpire puts finger in air right before it gets to the 2nd basemen, but does not say infield fly. Plate umpire and the other umpire indicate nothing. Fielder who is backing up while trying to catch misses the ball by 3 feet. Base runner on first goes to 2nd. 2nd baseman throws it to the shortstop. Other base umpire calls him out on the force. Kid goes back to the dugout thinking he’s out and the original umpire calls him out for leaving the field of play. Double play. Season over. I’m legitimately impressed by the composure of my nephew’s coach. I would have been banned forever from little league. League President was watching and lost his mind.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Crystal clear what happens on the gamecam too. District says we can’t protest using gamecam footage.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So Scott Brown, the Vandy pitching coach, has a kid on the Nolensville all-star team. He's worked with all of their kids on the mound, and needless to say, they are at minimum 10 deep and every single one of them has a curve ball thrown perfectly.

They are not a flashy team, but man they are fundamentally sound as any 12 year old team I've ever watched.

10. CardinalVol

State tourney over. Nolensville won and they didn't really have any competition. Thought Johnson City might, but nope. Crazy how far they were ahead of everyone else.

11. Ssmiff

That area is right down the road and grown so much, including many transplants, and they are still small enough to focus on 1 really good program, versus the many programs in teams in Franklin and brentwood.
    Old VFL Travis Copley runs a good travel program put of Franklin. His son is a baller. Think he's a soph and 6'5. Copley is a big dude and married an all sec volleyball player. She is also tall and their kids hit the genetic lottery

12. CardinalVol

First night in pads.

Let's the good times roll!

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hired an assistant today that I am really hoping is my successor.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Ah, the ole Head Coach In Waiting tag!

NYY likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

3rd pair of cleats for my 14 year old since May. From an 8 to 10.5. And had to get him 26/30 pants. Don't think I've ever seen that measurent before. He's all arms legs and feet

16. Ssmiff

@LaneTrain that Nolensville team you talked about is heading to the LLWS

17. CardinalVol

Yup, haven't gotten to watch but have kept up with them. Would not be shocked if they knocked off Florida today and won the SE region. Just a good, solid ball team.

18. CardinalVol

Snipits from the LLWS Q&A forms with the kids. Cheering for the kid who supplied this -

utvol0427 likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

Nolensville won the region. Put up a 10 spot in the 5th to pull it out.

Guess I can say I've seen a LLWS team in person.

20. Ssmiff

Watching llws and kid is having trouble finding the plate in 1st inning. Body language gets worse. Doesn't cover home on passed ball. Started crying and refused to pitch anymore. Havent seen that happen before