Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

In a tourney up in Ohio this summer, lacrosse game got physical and kinda nasty late. I usually sit in silence thru it all and laugh. This ohio parent yells at our kids, "we play some football up here if yall want to play football".
    This was unacceptable to me coming from a guy wearing 3 different OSU articles of clothing, so I simply reminded him we are from SEC country and his taunts about football dont mean much.

justingroves and VolDad like this.
  2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

You "coaching kid" guys are awesome. Respect.

I won't bore you with what the Sherwood "moms" yelled (or threw) at us 16 yrs -> no age limit "kids" when I played in the Mountain-Valley League. And on Sundays to boot.

For 16 yr old me it was awesome, the stories I got to tell my semi-sheltered buddies was epic.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is easy for us to believe this is a modern phenomenon, but I guess it is as old as time.

justingroves likes this.
  4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. Mom's can be crazy. It is timeless, but the retelling is awesome.

Now days, they just don't dip snuff or chew and I definitely bet they don't pull a tall boy Falstaff out of their pocket.

justingroves likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You more or less get used to it. The parents (and sadly their kids) eventually get blackballed. I didn't take one kid for all-stars who probably deserved it because of his mom.

6. CardinalVol

It's nicer in football because I have a bit more of a dictatorship than baseball. They all know I've got 10 kids that want to play and I don't deal with crap.

7. NorrisAlan

Three halves into the season and I have yet to see a punt and one fg attempt.

I would hate to be a 16 year old trying to cover these wide open offenses.

8. NorrisAlan

And now we cannot buy a first down

9. Ssmiff

Dilfer has really done something special at Lipscomb. Avg 70 pts thru 2 games after state title last year. Different type of athlete being developed there now and pros coming in to work out in the off season at their facility has been a draw for kids and families locally and from out of town.

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m in my late twenties and don’t have kids yet. I feel like y’all’s parent stories are an illustration of American mental health getting blown all to hell in the past 15+ years. Am I crazy?

I played baseball and basketball growing up and yeah you have the weird parents but a lot of what y’all describe I never saw anything like it.

11. NorrisAlan

No, it has always been this way. Always. Like other things, we just hear more stories of it now and see it more because we can.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There were crazy parents when I played, I'm 37 I just didn't deal with them.

13. CardinalVol

Played Austin East today in a bowl game.

Did not go well.

At all.

Not even a little bit.

14. CardinalVol

This is odd.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know a lot of coaches that would drive to hell and back for a win but don’t find many willing to do it to get the hell beat out of you.

16. CardinalVol

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

18. NorrisAlan

19. Ssmiff

Yeah not a good situation.

20. CardinalVol

I've got a whole lot of thoughts on it, but not worth sharing them. But the more I've thought theses surprised I am by it.