Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You might as well go ahead and start throwing high and inside on him when doing BP to get him used to it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  2. CardinalVol

Always good when you get a couple of 125 pound 8 year olds to say they want to play football.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Attached Files:

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He has no confidence issues.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If you happen to be rolling near wmsn county Saturday, state title games start at 11 at Nolensville. McCallie vs MUS then Brentwood vs Ravenwood at 230. Probably 15-20 players from those 2 games will be heading to play in college. Bring your son. I had no idea about the speed of the game until I saw my first game like these will be. Just be careful because he may, just may, like it. Tv does no justice. Watching a 4.6 40 player sprint, dodge, stop on a dime, change directions then fire an 80 mph lefty shot at a goalie with only chest pad and helmet needs to be seen in person to garner respek. And if the goalie catches it, fast break the other way with subs flying in like hockey.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So do I pitch the kid in the championship game who pitched great in the first playoff game and who has history of pitching well in the playoffs or the kid with the far lower era who has been better all season and pitched better against this opponent but has been known to struggle in the playoffs? Keep in mind these are 9 year olds. I think i need to get another hobby

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Horses for courses, my man.

justingroves and droski like this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Go with the hot hand, imo.

justingroves and droski like this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and you see my dilemma. I’m going with the kid who has been the better pitcher threw the season and will pull him quickly if he’s sucking

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

Throw your #1. Come back with the other if needed. He's your #1 for a reason.

droski likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Good crowd for title game. People finding out as it grows how fun and intense high level games are in person.

Attached Files:

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So the kid pitched great. D made him make 5 outs 2 innings and they scored on us. Lost 10-8. Umpire called out my player for batters interference from a throw on a steal to third base on a wild pitch where the catcher didn’t get the ball until my runner was 10 feet away at worst. No way he throws him out. Would have scored 2 minimum more runs that inning if that wasn’t called because my best hitter hit a rope that would have scored at least two but they got a fielders choke. my two next best hitters would have come up with two runners on too against a not great pitcher. Trying to not melt down about this. My other kid is in the upper division championship game on weds.

13. CardinalVol

Sounds like coach didn't have his team ready to me.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

fair enough. Ha ha. The kid who I didn’t pitch dad sent me 8 texts last night saying they would have won if I pitched his kid. Finished it with “Don’t draft my kid again” followed by “I kid.”

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You are up early; can't sleep thinking about it?

16. NorrisAlan

I swear, I would be the kind of coach that would not be liked, I am afraid. Oh, I would love and do my best by the kids, but the parents? Wooo boy, not sure I could do it.

"Sorry your sports career was so shitty that you have to live through your son."

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My conscience is clear but not a fun text to get right before you go to sleep

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I’ve rarely experienced any issues with parents. But things are getting more competitive now that we are coaching in the higher divisions.

19. CardinalVol

Powell used an ineligible pitcher Friday because they didn't count all the pitches from their previous game to keep him under a limit. I'm shocked I tell you.

20. NorrisAlan

I always heard Powell was the paragon of sportsmanship and spirit of the game. This has really crushed me.