Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think they anticipate a lot too.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Was talking to a guy who refs HS (and middle school, out of necessity) basketball and the issue he says is that they don’t have anybody to do it, because nobody wants to. He’s done it for 20 years and would quit if he could, but they’re so short staffed that he feels an obligation to help. Basically, every parent thinks their Jim Bob is the next NBA star and they have become insufferable to the point it chases qualified officials away and leaves them taking anybody who can breathe.

And I don’t know anything about the refs in this game, but his point is basically that this is the shit you end up with.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I get all that too. I wouldn’t do it.

we weren’t allowed to talk to the ref at all in my soccer game Sunday, because apparently people are being assholes to them, over Rec league soccer. Which is great.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

When I reffed AYSO, they taught us not in interact with the parents at all. Just ignore them. If you had a problem parent, after the game you reported it to AYSO and they contacted both coaches saying there was a complaint, this is a warning, tell your parents to STFU, yada yada.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And if the team accrued a certain number of complaints from parents, the coach was suspended. I thought it worked pretty well.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

About the only time I get upset with officials when I'm coaching is when the other team is doing stuff that could hurt players and they don't call it. When I coached baseball there was one ump who thought he was invincible because he had umped Williamsport (ironically every coach in the league thought he was one of the worst out there), but it is what it is.

For whatever reason, I do have higher expectations at this level of state tournament ball.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I also think part of the reason you see it at youth league games is the frustration of the whole from pro sports down comes out because that is the level where parents are the closest to it with the emotion factor. That's just my theory.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Finding refs and umps is a problem. Starts with parents out of control when their kids are young and doesn’t change. Another thing I like about lacrosse is they don’t put up with it. There is a game admin person at each game, and at any time ref can ask admin to give the fan or fans a warning. Any targeted yelling at the ref or opposing players is frowned upon. Then next time can tell them to leave. Only seen it happen once. It’s an adjustment for parents who’ve been at their kids football and baseball games yelling at the refs or ump but much more enjoyable without the drama.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've lost my shit once on an umpire while coaching and it's because the umpire was flat out wrong. He did apologize afterwards

10. Ssmiff

Son got the Varsity call up after 2 games. Play Hville/Beech tonight and Oakland this week. Coach told him he didn’t leave him a choice because he keeps his mouth shut and takes on anybody in practice.
    Makes me feel good as I let go of the reigns 3 years ago but still advise and told him if he played defense and wasn’t scared to try to stop the best, coaches will love it. He also just ran a 4.63 without training on the start, which helps. Until you are going that speed at 135 lbs and get clocked by a 19 yr old 220 lb senior who doesn’t mind sitting out a minute to send you flying.

CardinalVol likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You playing in Hendersonville?

12. Ssmiff

In Brentwood.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Some of you know, but at the end of this past baseball season I retired from coaching baseball. Haven't missed it until first day of official practice and that quickly passed when I realized I was playing golf instead of working on the field right after a rainstorm.

With that said, my 11 year old son randomly last week out of the blue said "Dad, I really wish you could coach me this year." Never coached him before. Always sat in the outfield with my Yeti full of bourbon and watched. Always tried to keep that line solid between being Dad/Coach. Him requesting it is different.

So Little League coaching it is for me this spring.

14. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Shouldn't be much different, now you just get to sit in the dugout with your Yeti full of Bourbon.

15. Ssmiff

take one for the team Ogilvy

16. Ssmiff

17. Ssmiff

Don’t really care if people know my name. Already know a couple of you. Gotta learn to finish after the fake spin move. But answered with a nice burst and lefty shot on the run. First ever hat trick. I missed the 3rd one

18. Ssmiff

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Chico's Bail Bonds is graciously sponsoring us this year.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Uhm. I thought you had a restraining order of 150 feet.