Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I will probably have to step in if it gets to that point. Although my son appears at 22 months to be destined to play fullback. That or the trumpet. Depending on his mood.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I will work with them at home, but I want nothing to do with coaching my own. Well at least not until they're in high school. I'd be way too tough on them and expect too much for their age. There's a reason why I coach older young people. I'm kinda intense on the ball fields, male or female sports, anyway. I'd be even more intense with my kids. I respect and envy those that can handle that, but I just try my best to sit back and watch them- not too rah-rah & not too critical. Don't know if I've ever said this here, but the #1 thing I've learned after 23 years of coaching school ball is how to NOT act as a parent.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  3. JayVols

We've never "talked" a lot. I'm not even sure why either because I think you're a helluva guy but, hell, we're gonna be big buddies now if I can help it after that comment.

4. JayVols

I hadn't read this post when I made mine. The parallels in our lives are pretty scary. Well except for that parallel....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. JayVols

I don't get involved unless I'm asked a question by the coach. My daughters need to learn from other people, too. I do any instruction in the yard. If the coach is an idiot and tells them to do something wrong, I tell them to be respectful, but to do what I've taught them. I've found that they usually ask them if their dad taught them something. If I did, they leave it alone. My pet peeve is the "get your back elbow up (level)" when batting. Yeah, sure thing there Carew. That's a great way to create a hitch in the swing not to mention an uppercut because you have to drop the elbow to swing which automatically causes the hands to drop.

6. JayVols

You can do it. I've chewed holes in my jaw and tongue, but I refuse to be "that dad" that shows his ass all the time.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Soccer bites. I'll just leave this here:

[video=youtube;oByEN7Bwpp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oByEN7Bwpp8[/video]

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It would be a challenge coaching your own child. It would take a good understanding from both of you.

9. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Phenomenal. We were the pirates this year and did arrgh before and after every game.

10. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A new friend!

And I don't care for soccer. There's a whole lot of running around without purpose, and at least around here, a haven for kids that aren't good enough or dedicated enough to make football, basketball, or baseball teams. I did expect, though, for my kid to get a little more experience playing on a team, taking direction from coaches, competing, and generally having a directed, athletic, and wholesome activity. Instead, through two practices, it's chaotic free play with a bunch of kids he doesn't know. Waste of time that, if he keeps at it, will eventually become a bigger waste of time.

His mother has a lot more difficulty with it than I do, I think.

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

The hardest thing to do is coach your child especially at a HS level. You have to be tougher on your own child than any other. If you take it easy on them, your child will pay the price for it.

12. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

OV for next HC @ UT.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Bumping this thread.

I've got a 5u team this year and I'll challenge anyone in America. We are ridiculously loaded. I jokingly asked the commissioner of our league if I could drop my worst 3 and play the worst team in 7u. He laughed and said we could probably beat them.

We are also the Pirates, we also do the "arrrr" cheer before and after games.

Parents are great, really only one kid is trouble, and it's been a ton of fun.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's great.

I've been lucky enough to keep the core of our baseball team together from 3yr to 5-6 coach pitch, and it's amazing to see the transformation.

15. CardinalVol

That's my goal. I think most parents are on board for trying. We'll see how it goes.

It's 5u co-ed, and my general rule of thumb is any girl who walks up wearing a pink helmet or bat can probably mash. It's really funny.

16. CardinalVol

19 runs today. About as good as we can do.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Gummy worms. I expect them banned next season.

19. CardinalVol

M&M's with Pixi Stix for the kids who need it.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Funny to see a 5 year old snorting a steroid laced Pixi Stick off of the dugout floor.