Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes a glove issue. Thanks much

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yeah I’ve been trying to get them to throw it low or bounce it, but you know how that works. Thanks again

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Easiest way to break in a glove is just repeatedly slam a ball into it over and over and over. [penis]’s has some of those mallet jobs that makes it a little easier and don’t have to worry about a kid slinging a ball and missing their glove from 6 inches and knocking shit over in the house. And then wrap a ball in the pocket of the glove and wrap something around the glove shut.

People do crazy shit trying to break in gloves.

droski likes this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Piss on the glove a few times, put a baseball in it, wrap with a rubber band, and then underneath your mattress.

droski likes this.
  5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think I need to work on them stopping the ball. The gloves are ok. They just aren’t getting anywhere close to ball with it. It’s not like it’s going in the glove and coming out generally.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Use ping pong balls barehanded. Then work up to tennis balls barehanded. Just tossing them.

Once they learn how to use their hands, they’ll see the gloves as an extension of their hand.

smokysbark and droski like this.
  7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Semen works better on gloves. And everything else in life.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Good call. Will do thanks

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

If you do all of these drills with them on their knees it forces better hand/eye coordination as well. Also doesn't allow them to bail out of catching the ball.

NYY likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm about to do this with my son. He's hitting well, but lord he's struggling in field.

smokysbark likes this.
  11. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

IMO, there's literally nothing better to build muscle memory than putting a player on their knees and rolling backhand, straight and forehand ground balls and short hops. Allows them to perfect their form without worrying about getting hit in the teeth.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

We do it at high school level too. Call it the Ozzie drill. If it was good enough for Ozzie, it’s good enough for everyone. At the HS level the short hop is the one we use the most in the drill. Drag the fingers down and work through the ball.

smokysbark and CardinalVol like this.
  13. CardinalVol

He's got grounders ok, he struggles catching more that anything. He's like most normal 7-8 year olds in that he wants to catch it to the side in case he misses it.

If anyone has a big dose of self-confidence for him, I'll gladly pay you for it.

smokysbark likes this.
  14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Biggest problem with grounders with all ages is the inability to read hops. We teach to create your own hop by working through the ball. Tennis rackets with tennis balls on a hard surface is a great drill.

15. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Brother, self confidence is a hard thing sometimes. My daughter plays on a national level travel softball team and still struggles with it a lot.

I can just tell you what I did with my kids to get them comfortable with their glove. Like NYY said, we started bare handed. I put them on their knees and made them mirror my movement with a ball with their hand movement in all directions. I actually did that every night for about a week or so. Then we did the bare hand tennis balls. I didn't care if they caught it, just that their hand (glove) orientation was correct. Then moved on to tennis balls with a glove, etc. It will help pretty quick actually.

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Breaker in a new catcher by slamming balls is your answer to everything.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It’s all fun and games until you get a foul tip.

Tenacious D likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

If my son and two others hit like they can, this may be a fun baseball season

smokysbark likes this.
  19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

The coaches just moved my daughter to the leadoff spot. Told her she a lot of tools that they can use in that spot.

She's never been in the 1 hole before. Normally a 2 or 5, 6 hole hitter. She looked like she had 7,000 things going on in her head during her at bats.

I'm not sure her softball IQ is high enough to process information in one glance at the defensive alignment and decide if she is going to swing away, bunt, drag, hard slap, etc. It looked too big for her in my opinion. Hopefully, she can learn quick.

20. CardinalVol

Eh, give her a couple of weeks to adjust and she'll be fine.

Glad my kids are involved in every sport imaginable. Picked up two kids well below where they should have been drafted because they had horrible tryouts and they are both too good of athletes to be as bad as they looked. I told one of the dads thanks for his son sucking in tryouts so bad so I could steal him late and the dad just laughed.

Got my #1 overall ranked player with the #8 pick because his step bro had a bad tryout and no one wanted to waste their #2 on him. I know both kids and know he's worth it.

We hit and this could be fun.

smokysbark likes this.