Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Now, this 5/6 year old girls tee ball team I'm going to coach....................this could be entertainment. I'm telling the parents off the bat that we're going to have fun, try to win some games, and we're ALL going to be respectable.

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

They do not keep score at that age where we live. Kids are too busy drawing in the dirt and looking at airplanes.

3. CardinalVol

First girls tee-ball practice tonight.

Thoughts/prayers/gifts of strong alcohol are appreciated.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Playing the defending AAU state champs tonite in a tournament.

Corey Allen's org

5. CardinalVol

My boys team may be pretty good. One is out with injury and will miss 2 to 4 games. When he gets back I think we will be aight.

Girls team....i have 3 straight ringers, 2 pretty good, and 6 from average to terrible. I have no idea what to expect.

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not coaching, but dont be afraid to let your kids try everything. Great move to lacrosse us for my 3rd son. 5 years of club soccer and he's practiced more at home in 3 weeks than the last couple years.

7. CardinalVol

Got about 45 minutes of a scrimmage in last night. First inning we had a bad case of nerves. Boys looked terrified. We got that out and played decent ball. These boys definitely operate better under relaxed environment, which is basically a 180 from my personality coaching, so I'm having to adjust.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So, my six year old, who has shown very little interest in playing sports, decided he wanted to play baseball this spring. I worked with him a little bit in the yard, he's your normal 6 year old, never played baseball player.

I sign him him up, he starts practicing and he isn't too bad. He will field any ground ball within 4 foot of him by stopping it with whatever limb can knock it down, his coach calls him Peka. I had him batting right handed, he wasn't very good.

15 minutes before his first game last night, his head coach made him swing leftie. Well, he's now a full time lefty batter. He went two for three and had the game winning RBI. He damn near ran to third instead of first on his first hit and he didn't drop the bat, but we've got something to go with now.

My middle one is full on ambidextrous, so we're trying to figure him out now, he's 3.

His coach is great and really works with each kid one on one, which can lead to 3 hour practices, but it's cool to watch.

CardinalVol and NYY like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And I also had to go be a dugout parent because I was about to start horse cussing a mother on the opposing team. I can't be around other parents if they think 5 and 6 year old baseball is the damn major leagues.

NYY likes this.
  10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

If he can hit lefty, you are ahead of the curve (pardon the pun). Now you just need the other to pitch lefty and you can sit back and live the life of Riley while they make millions in the MLB.

11. Ssmiff

Pekka is funny. Ive switched many a kid over the years. Some have that hacking over the top right hand swing. Then tell them to swing lefty and its smoothe as silk.

12. CardinalVol

I about got into it with an opposing coach Saturday because he thought it was fun to run girls from 1st to home on a ground ball in the infield in 5/6 tee ball.

My baseball team may lead me to have a nervous breakdown. First time I'm ever been flat out stumped on how to coach a team.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

In travel basketball you 'll see more fights in the bleachers than you will on the floor.

14. CardinalVol

Baseball is 1-0.

Boy hit a legit bases loading clearing triple.

Had an opposing dad jump out of his seat, run as close to me as he could and yell at me about 15 seconds for my aggressive baserunning coaching.....all while wearing his TSSAA umpire gear.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Baseball was snowed out today. At game time, it was 34 degrees with an 8 mile an hour north wind. It was snowing steadily.

16. CardinalVol

Training them to be soft early on. Little snow never hurt nobody.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Note to parents. Telling me you are trying to make it, but your kid may not make the game really isn’t helping me make the lineup.

18. Ssmiff

Bench. Maybe late sub or next game.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My biggest gripe as a parent (I don't coach my sons, won't do it) is the parents that show up for two practices all year and make half the games.

Why bother signing up?

justingroves likes this.
  20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Well they told me before he was making the game and I already made the lineup, so now I either have to change it or hope he shows up. Laziness is a [itch bay]