Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I ain't doing it. Going to coach 7 and 8 year olds for the forseeable future* and enjoy it.

*-until wife tells me I have to stop

2. CardinalVol

Yup. It's insane how good that staff is.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

4. CardinalVol

5. CardinalVol

I am trying to figure out how exactly I got in charge of the 10U softball tournament we are hosting this weekend. I did not volunteer to do this.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You were voluntold.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

So I've got two of my baseball players on our league's all-star team, including my kid, and it should have been three. First practice was yesterday, and it's always some kind of validation to see your guys get out there and hold their own with the best in the league. We have a USSSA state qualifier 7/14-15, so I guess I will get to see how they do against the best in the area, too.

Anyway, good season. Next year promises to be an absolute cluster[uck fay], as they move up to kid pitch, and currently, thanks to low numbers, we are playing 9-12 together and trying to convert to Little League.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Get ready for walk after walk after walk

9. CardinalVol

11-12s can usually throw consistent strikes.

9-10s........................not so much.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

god kid pitch is awful at the early ages. walk, walk, strikeout, walk, hit (woohoo!), strikeout

11. CardinalVol

Yup. It's terrible. If you throw it 25 miles an hour and can throw strikes, you are basically Kershaw.

droski likes this.
  12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my nephew does exactly this. it's interesting to see though that once the kids figured out they had to swing they started hitting him decently by the end of the year because they knew he'd strike them out of they didn't swing. it's almost a liability to be consistently accurate.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Teach him to throw the 0-2 into the dirt in front of the catcher. Has he been taught a change up?

14. CardinalVol

It's not the worst thing in the kids figure out they have to swing or strike out. It at least makes for a better game.

15. CardinalVol

We start football on Monday. I'm ready for it. Debating going crazy strength coach route and showing up in full sweatsuit so show the kids it's not that hot***.

***-It will be that hot and my wife is against this because she doesn't want me to die.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Do it. What's your wife know about being a man anyways?

CardinalVol likes this.
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't think so. they seem to be happy he can throw over the plate

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

makes for a FAR better game

19. CardinalVol

Our softball tournament this weekend is 10U and basically, teams are gonna have to throw their number 2 at some point. Cant ride 1 arm. And I'm scared at what those number 2s may look like.

droski likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

I hate softball parents and coaches.

Hate them.

We would be here until labor day if we called every illegal pitch.