Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Was at a game Saturday and there was a kid in the stands full uniform that had been throwing up and was sitting there shivering. Could not understand why his mom was just sitting there with him.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Better get an IV ready.

3. CardinalVol

Spoke to him at lunch. Told him if he didn't play he was getting kicked out of house. Couple of initial tears, but he understood.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

sounds like you've got him on track to be running his own oil drilling crew.Good parenting

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Nothing personal, son."

6. CardinalVol

Teach him to toughen up now, or have a lazy freeloader at 25 living in my basement. Easy decision, really.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

25 can still be on your insurance, at least.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Falls under the "freeloader" bit. Come on, man.

9. CardinalVol

He's actually starting to run a low grade fever. *sighs*

10. CardinalVol

Up, ready to go, at school. Game on.

kmf600 likes this.
  11. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

Man, fast pitch softball is hard to teach. My daughter has power, but not a whole lot of control. Sounds like someone I know...

12. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

How old? Developing body control for girls is sporadic as hell. They just develop so individually. The younger girls who have good body control look like world beaters out of the gate. Don't fret ... keep teaching the fundamental mechanics and it will come when it comes. My daughter is now in 7th grade and is really just now "feeling" what her body is supposed to do ... but damnit, it's fun when it clicks.

13. CardinalVol

I never want to see the score ran up on kids.

However, there's a few parents who I'd like their kids team to lose 100 to nothing every game they play.

Just had to get that one out of my system.

14. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Its the pass balls and dropped 3rd strikes by an inexperienced catcher at 9 and 10 that is brutal. Typically a kid that gets on first is at 3rd base two pitches later.

droski likes this.
  15. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

9-10 travel ball its about getting the ball over the plate and having a high strike percentage.

For 11-12, my 10 year old is starting 12u this fall as a catcher. We are teaching the catchers at this level to call pitches and present a target based on strike count. They know not to treat a 3-0 pitch the same as an 0-2 count.

16. CardinalVol

Several of my friends have kids on a local 9U team. Of the 10 kids on the roster, 9 can pitch, and throw strikes consistently. A couple of them can locate pitches pretty well. Needless to say, they do very, very well.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You all ever play in any tournaments in Chattanooga or Cleveland, TN?

18. CardinalVol

Watched the 8U equivalent of 2008 Tennessee/Wyoming last night. A team won their first game in like 3 or 4 years.

19. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I don't think we've ever played in Cleveland but we are in Chattanooga at least twice a season, usually more than that (her travel team). We always end up at Warner park with the outfield grass knee high. Only played at the Summit once but that place is nice.

Edit: Not Warner ... that place is nice as well. It's by the Zoo. I meant that shitty Camp Jordan park.

NYY likes this.
  20. bigjintx

bigjintx Chieftain

She is in the 5th grade. 10U ball. This is her last season where if you get to ball 4, they let a coach come in and give the batter a ball or two to hit based on how many strikes there are.

I have been working a lot and I need to figure out how to motivate her to work out on her own when she gets home.