Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Man I used to harp on my daughter to get out and work on her own but I think it’s a bit overrated. She gets a lot more quality reps when I’m with her doing tee work, throwing short hop drills, or sitting on a bucket catching drop balls. She loves the feedback and she is motivated to go when I go with her. It took several years but she has got to the point where she will ask for another rep and critique herself now. That is where you and daughter will get to as well.

One of the very best tools that we use is “the hitting rope” from B-ram Sports. It’s just a simple rope with whiffle balls but it will literally fix her swing as she makes adjustments to hit the ball down the rope. Really good tool for teaching them to stay inside the ball, have good bat lag, and stay on plane through extension.

bigjintx likes this.
  2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

In my experience, the working on their own has to come intrinsically. Get quality reps when you’re working with her or when she’s at practice.

And secondly, leave them hungry for more.

Tenacious D and bigjintx like this.
  3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

My kid has a broken pinky on his right hand and a buckle fracture in his left wrist. Soccer, yes. Baseball no, at least for another 3 weeks.

WTF am I going to do at 2nd base?

4. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Did those two injuries happen at the same time? What the hell caused that?

5. cotton

Friday football at recess, broke finger. Took him to Convenient Care Friday evening, they x-rayed it, splinted it, and set him up with Ortho the following Tuesday.

Monday, as he's carrying his wrapped up right arm around like a T-rex, he falls playing soccer in PE, catches himself awkwardly, and breaks the left wrist.

He had a tough first week of school.

smokysbark and justingroves like this.
  6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

good lord

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Make that kid drink some milk

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hell after that kind of week I'd let him have a beer

smokysbark and NYY like this.
  9. cotton

Milk for him. Beer for me.

I had never heard of a buckle fracture. Apparently, they suck.

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yea they do.

Ssmiff likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We had a player have to go to ER before game this morning. My boy got the start. Have told him from day 1 to be ready when his number was called and he didnt disappoint.

Proud dad today.

bigjintx, Tenacious D and kmf600 like this.
  12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This kid sports. I like him.

13. cotton

The problem will be narrowing it down, and he likes them all. Baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, and throw in a dose of tennis and tkd in down time. He's a good kid, and he needs activity, and he falls somewhere between decent and really good in all of them, but he's wearing me out.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ravens 42-0 over Titans to open the season 7 v 7. Love watching from the sideline. 2 former pros coaching hard and looks like we are headed for a 4th straight title. 11 year olds throwing 30 yard fades to the back pylon to a set of 5'7 wrs is hard to defend, then when they try, the slots eat them up with arrows and slants. Fun to watch and all hot routes from 5 wide.

15. Tenacious D

It’ll sort itself out, in due time.

Perhaps you should have thought about this at some point before marrying and impregnating a woman so obviously blessed with both significant athletic skills and strong genetics.

16. cotton

Couldn't help it; I'd been drinking.

17. Tenacious D

Your participation, however it occurred, is not a point of serious question.

18. cotton

Despite being talented and intelligent, my wife does have occasional lapses in judgement. She's a UK alumna, after all.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

And she did marry you.

20. cotton

Again, alcohol.

NorrisAlan likes this.